GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Drawing magnetic north lines on Basecamp

Started by wiiawiwb, August 10, 2012, 10:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiiawiwb

Once I zoom into an area I'm going to hike, it would be fantastic if I could use BC to draw magnetic north lines that would appear on the printed copy.

I've used the ruler to draw a single line, using my area's declination adjustment, but that line disappears once I click off the ruler button.

Is there any way to create magnetic north line(s) on BC that will print out?

leszekp

Not directly, no. If you go to Page Setup and check the "Magnetic Variation" box, it will print arrows at the bottom for true/magnetic north, and the declination. Beyond that, your only option is to draw a track in the right orientation, but since the drawing tool doesn't show the bearing angle for the track, this will take some trial and error.

Seldom

Quote from: wiiawiwb on August 10, 2012, 10:45:30 AM
Once I zoom into an area I'm going to hike, it would be fantastic if I could use BC to draw magnetic north lines that would appear on the printed copy.

I've used the ruler to draw a single line, using my area's declination adjustment, but that line disappears once I click off the ruler button.

Is there any way to create magnetic north line(s) on BC that will print out?

You must be hiking with a paper print out and a magnetic compass that doesn't have a declination setting?   

Most GPSrs with electronic compasses have an option to show true north as well as magnetic north so magnetic declination isn't necessary.  And a magnetic compass with a declination arrow would be just as effective.