GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Choosing Map to view on an eTrex 20

Started by Kahuna2, June 19, 2012, 10:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kahuna2

Newbie here with a question, I was able to download the topo maps I wanted to my PC & have been able to put them on the GPS (thanks to the tutorials here), on the GPS in the Set Up, Map Information (Select Map), it shows the maps I've installed (NY topo, PA topo & NE topo). Question is, would I want to have each one enable or disabled? I'm not sure what the adavantages/disadvantages are.
Thanks in advance for your help.

tiva

I'm another newbie with a similar question on my new eTrex 20. I found that the only way I could view my newly installed custom map was to disable all the other maps, including the basemap that came with the device.

I also found that the only way I could view my added waypoints was to connect the garmin to the computer and load them directly from BaseCamp.

Take all this with a grain of salt, please--I'm just stumbling around with this new Garmin. My older Garmin, an ancient Vista, didn't have any of these abilities, so it was far simpler to use.
Cheers-
Nancy

Seldom

Quote from: Kahuna2 on June 19, 2012, 10:03:25 AM
Question is, would I want to have each one enable or disabled?
Probably doesn't matter unless one map overlays another.  You should probably disable NE topo to see the state topos and vice versa.

maps4gps

NY topo and PA topo should be fine together as they were created as subsets of a 48 State topo.