GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Arcmap .shp polygon to GPS

Started by bigbair, February 08, 2012, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbair

I have spent the last 2 days attempting this with semi success (thanks to a 2 year old post I found on another forum) and I believe I am close but could use some guidance-

I have multiple ownership layers for very large properties in Arcmap (.shp files) and would like to be able to deploy them to a variety of Garmin GPS units- currently using eTrex Legend HCX, Nuvi 200, Nuvi 1300

I have been using trial versions of software to find a method that works and will gladly purchase necessary software once I know what I need.

I have been able to load the properties with GPSMapEdit, cgpsmapper and SendMap - BUT they show up as solid polygons on my GPS units and I need them to be either an outline or Semi-Transparent so they can co-exist with other features such as roads and topographic lines.

My goals-
1. Load properties onto variety of GPS units  (GMAPSUPP.IMG)
2. Separate color for each property (Garmin types- ie. 0x0017 City Park)
2. Show outline of only of each property OR show entire property as semi-transparent
3. Properties need to co-exist with 24k topographic maps and basemap on GPS (Property GMAPSUPP.IMG in /Garmin on memory card replaces the topo 24k GMAPSUPP.IMG)

Any ideas? Maybe there is a better approach altogether? I am fairly new to this and any help would be appreciated.

On a side note-
A solid polygon probably wouldn't be a problem if I can manipulate the drawing order so that roads and topo lines show up on top of the properties.

Boyd

One oddity of Garmin's format is that all polygons are filled and they cannot have borders. You can use custom types to a create dithered bitmap that is sort of "transparent", but not really (because it will contain a bunch of dots that may obscure items underneath). If you want only the outline (border) of the polygon to show, the only option is to convert it to a polyline.

Another fact of Garmin's format is that lines are ALWAYS drawn on top of polygons. However, using custom types you can define the draw order of polygons to control which polygons will cover up the ones underneath. The draw order of lines cannot be controlled however.

For a good introduction to custom types, see this article, starting around page 29. http://cgpsmapper.com/download/GM8DocV2.pdf That will explain the concepts, but it really isn't necessary to use the technique they describe with a source text file. Instead, you can use the online editor at http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi or download TypWiz here: http://pinns.co.uk/osm/ostyp.html

I don't understand what you mean with "Property GMAPSUPP.IMG in /Garmin on memory card replaces the topo 24k GMAPSUPP.IMG". Do you want to modify an existing 24k topo map? That would require the author's permission.

What you can do is create a transparent map that will be drawn on top of any other map that's already on the device. The nuvi 1300 can use multiple map files, so that's no problem. On the Nuvi 200 you could put your map on a data card. On the eTrex you would need to bundle both maps together, which would require that you also lean how to install your map in Mapsource/Basecamp.

If you place polygons on a transparent map however, they will cover up everything on any other map that is being displayed.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 08, 2012, 09:40:40 AM
If you want only the outline (border) of the polygon to show, the only option is to convert it to a polyline.
In GPSmapEdit  "S"(select Arrow Select Tool)>left click your polygon(polygon get's highlighted)>right click the polygon>select "Modify" from drop down list > select "Kind" from next drop down list > select "Convert to Polyline".

maps4gps

QuoteIf you place polygons on a transparent map however, they will cover up everything on any other map that is being displayed.

A custom transparent polygon type can be created.  I have used one for years in my PLSS overlay (transparent) mapset and in the recently released CO-geology overlay mapset.  I believe jbensman is using a dot pattern with the second 'color' transparent in his Land Ownership maps and for hydro in his 'My topos' (which was created to enhance City Navigator).

Boyd

This is true, but I mentioned the idea of "transparent" polygons above and their issues. They aren't really transparent, they are filled with a pattern of opaque dots. In other words, it's not the same as the effect of making a layer 50% transparent in Photoshop. Depending on how you create the pattern and what is underneath, it can make things difficult to read.

You will have to be the judge of whether the effect works with whatever is under the polygons.

bigbair

I appreciate all the quick replies and advice.

I converted to polylines as Seldom suggested and I believe that will be exactly what I needed.

Quote from: Boyd on February 08, 2012, 09:40:40 AMI don't understand what you mean with "Property GMAPSUPP.IMG in /Garmin on memory card replaces the topo 24k GMAPSUPP.IMG". Do you want to modify an existing 24k topo map? That would require the author's permission.

I don't want to modify the existing 24k topo map. I want the gps to display both the topo lines and my property lines- I was running into a problem copying my new GMAPSUPP.IMG file over to /Garmin because the file already existed.

It doesn't seem to be a problem now. I reloaded the topo maps after my custom property lines and it appears to work fine now. Probably just a noob problem to begin with.

Quote from: Boyd on February 08, 2012, 09:40:40 AMFor a good introduction to custom types, see this article, starting around page 29...

Another quick question- With custom types I should be able to set my own color and width for the polylines correct?

Boyd

Absolutely. Try the online editor I linked to above, it makes it quite simple.

eaparks

To save you some trial and error time on how you might want the outline of your borders to look, I prefer a 5 pixel wide line with 3 pixels of your color of choice and the 2 outside (border) pixels to be black.  This sort of accenuates the line when light colored lines are used on a light background (the GPS screen), thus making the line's edges appear more crisp on your GPS;  but this is just my personal preference from lots of experimenting.

edit:  Also, white lines with red borders, or yellow lines with red borders look good.  You can get as creative as you want with the look of your lines.  Everything from colored dashed lines, directional lines with arrows, or any other look you want by using a custom .typ file.

bigbair

After using the online editor I tried to load the .typ to GPSMapEdit and it only takes .txt files?

I guess I'll need to migrate to Global Mapper now?

I appreciate all the help with this and I'm certain I'll need more but I'm going to have to give it a rest until next week. Didn't want to appear unappreciative by disappearing

Boyd

When you come back...

Globalmapper is terrific, I couldn't do without it myself. But it won't help with .typ files or .img files. It will only create .mp files which must be compiled by another program.

True that you can't directly use the binary .typ file in GPSMapEdit, but you can still include it in your mapset and it will work on the GPS. You can use SendMap20 and just drag you .img files along with your .typ file to its window, then send them all to the GPS.

If you really feel you need to see the .typ file in GPSMapEdit, note that the online editor also has a decompile function that will produce a text file (click the tab at the top of the page). You will probably need to tweak this a bit in a text editor yourself, unless what you're doing is really simple (which it may very well be).

For best results, learn how to use MapsetToolkit and combine everything so it will work in Basecamp/Mapsource.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 08, 2012, 02:25:02 PM
Globalmapper is terrific, I couldn't do without it myself.
Ain't that the truth. As Boyd says above, it won't help bigbair with the problems he is currently addressing, but he should download a (crippled) demo copy to see what kinds features that it has that he might want to use.

Among other things, it will open and save to a large number of formats.  For instance, it will write shapefiles to MP while preserving all the attribute data like road names and numbers.  In order to import shapefiles with GPSmapedit you have to enter each type (big roads, little roads, contours, rivers) separately, or edit them individually inside GPSmapedit.  That's way too much work on say a county wide project, let alone a state. 

It also has a really handy search and replace tool.

bigbair

With the advice offered here I was able to accomplish my original goals and as suggested I loaded them into mapsource so they can be easily loaded to a variety of units.

I did find TYPWiz2 to be quicker and easier than the online editor way to create my custom .typ files. The 1-3-1 layout showed up great. I was completely happy with it and did not even try a different scheme.

Also, I purchased 'cGPSmapper Personal' and still have a watermark. Is there a way to remove the watermark? I can live with it but dislike it.

Seldom

Quote from: bigbair on March 14, 2012, 08:37:48 AM
Also, I purchased 'cGPSmapper Personal' and still have a watermark. Is there a way to remove the watermark? I can live with it but dislike it.

I haven't had any luck trying to get rid of it.  I think you may be able to get rid of it with the free version.  Unless you are making routable maps you don't need the Personal version.

bigbair

I'm not making routable maps yet but may give that a try in the future since I purchased the capability. I actually purchased it because I thought it would remove the watermark. I like supporting developers when I can so I guess it wasn't a complete loss.

Seldom

Routable maps aren't that hard if your road network is simple.  In GPSmapedit  "Tools|Generate Routing Graph", followed by "Tools|Verify Map".  It's the Verify Map part that's the work, because it's there that you need to correct any errors in the road network.  Most of the corrections are done by selecting the node tool (keystroke "M") and right click selecting fixes, but depending on how big the network is hundreds (or thousands) of fixes may be required.  That's what you need something like PostGreSQL/PostGIS for.