GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New Garmin question

Started by rmarqu2, December 26, 2011, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarqu2

Hey guys, my girlfriend just got me a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and i have a question. I plan on mainly using it for fishing south Louisiana marshes. I'm trying to find out a decent marine topo map to either purchase from Garmin or download from here. Just not sure whether to just get the 100k topo that comes with the 62st or try for the south central marine map. Just interested to see if anyone has purchased a garmin marine map and whether they're satisfied with it/worth the money. Thanks!

Seldom

I doubt that the 100k topo would help you much with fishing.  The quality of 100k topo contours is pretty low, and the only advantage I can see to it is it provides 3D grid data you could use if you wanted to see hill shading, or see elevations for a track or route.  I don't see either of these as much value if your primary application is fishing in a fairly flat place like Louisiana.

I suggest you look at the Louisiana Topos from this site.  They won't have the 3D grid data (only Garmin made products do), but the topo and hydrography we provide should both be a lot higher quality, and the price is right.  Still, if you feel you can contribute, please do.  Server time costs money.

One problem you'll have with fishing maps is bathymetry (depth contours).  That data is really hard to find, so you may want to look at Garmin maps for that.

Boyd

You might also look at Birdseye imagery since your GPS supports that. Connect it to your computer, run Basecamp and choose Tools > Download Birdseye. You will be guided through the steps. It is free to load on your computer and use in Basecamp, but you need to purchase a $30 subscription to use it on the GPS. Not a bad deal for unlimited downloads that don't expire.

Either way, if you purchase a Garmin product be sure to register your GPS first. You will get a 10% discount from Garmin for any purchase at their site. That could save something significant if you decide to buy the marine map.

rmarqu2

Thanks for the advice! Im still in the researching phase of trying to maximize the potential of my unit. I plan on relying on this forum for a lot of future info. Thanks again!

Seldom

You may want to Google for Garmin fishing maps.  I know there are some third party fishing maps out there.