GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

I loaded the latest IL map

Started by ilbob, December 19, 2011, 04:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbob

In Base Camp it is far superior to the older version.

Sadly, on the GPS it has an issue that I just realized yesterday. A state park I hiked in is colored in green on the map. Makes it really hard to see much of anything on my b/w GPS.

It is not useless, just very difficult to see any details. I may go back tot he older map that did not seem to color any of the parks in.

Is there some way to remove the green coloring from the maps?

Indrid Cold

If your GPS has the option to turn off Land Cover in the options you should be able to disable it, if not then no.

Boyd

If that doesn't work, you could always try contacting the author.

Seldom

For the record, what GPSr are you using?

maps4gps

If you are refering to my IL2011 topo, the information I provided on the mapset states: '... uses custom type styles developed on an Oregon 300 with shaded relief set to 'do not show'.
I only have a 76csx and an OR300.  I used the lightest green which mapwell indicated was a valid color for the older units.  When I loaded mapsets to my 76csx as a backup for a family trip last summer I noticed that unit displayed the color a light greenish blue.  Not having a b/w unit I have no knowledge of how it might display.  If Indrid's suggestion does not work for you, I would use the older IL mapset. 

jbensman

As mentioned above, in the advance setup for maps, if you turn off landcover, it should stop it from showing. 

Install Eastern Land Ownership.  It has all of DNR's properties and its a transparnet overlay.  I created the map for the reason you mention.  It works without making the map hard to see.  In IL, you best option is City Navigator, My Topos, My Trails, My POIs, and Eastern Landownership.

ilbob

I turned landcover off. Next time I am there I will see how that works. Thanks for the tips.

maps4gps

You should be able to pan the GPSr to that area to see what it looks like.

ilbob

Quote from: maps4gps on December 20, 2011, 05:27:41 AM
You should be able to pan the GPSr to that area to see what it looks like.

Rats. The cemetary next door is still a solid mass.

Seldom

Are you looking at trees, or the cemetery boundary?  If the cemetery polygon is shaded I don't know that you can change the display.

maps4gps

As Seldom asked two days ago; what unit are you using?
Is it an older unit, or one of the b/w Edge units?

Seldom - AFAIK the only way to have a polygon with an edge is to create a seperate line feature around the polygon.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on December 21, 2011, 06:16:13 AM
Seldom - AFAIK the only way to have a polygon with an edge is to create a seperate line feature around the polygon.

But that's an author thing, not something the end user can control, like ground cover.

Indrid Cold

The thing is that these maps are not going to work equally on all GPS units that can load them. It's most likely the same for the Garmin published maps.

ilbob

maps4gps

What got my interest was that it is a black & white mapping GPSr.  I do not recall there being a post on an issue like this before.
Are the colors we are using in our custom types for the mapsets for the newer units going to be so similiar shades of gray on the GPSrs with a black and white display that the mapset will not be usable on those units?