News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Setting object levels in GPSMApEdit

Started by Schnee, October 19, 2011, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnee

Hi,

I'm getting better and better using GPSMapEdit.
I've found how to extend element to a certain level, but I can't find how to m0dify their level definition in the first place.
Fort instance, I have items defined at level 1, their disapear when zoomed at level 0.
I've found how to change the data1= line to dat0= in the .mp file, but their must be a better way to do it in MapEdit?

So how can I
1 decide the level when defining elements?
2 modify their level after?

Thanks

Seldom

To really control the appearance of a finished map look up the section on "Dictionary" in the cgpsmapper manual.

The quick way to modify levels in GPSmapedit is to Ctrl-A (Select All), then select the Arrow tool (type S), right click and Modify|Extend Elements Up To Level.  Select 0 (the number) for the level.  That will set all objects on layer 0. 

However, to get the dictionary to work you'll need to set all objects to the highest level allowed (1 less than the top level since that level must remain empty.)  Assuming you have a 4 level map, after you have set all objects at level 0, repeat the selection and Extend all objects up to level 3. 

Note that the Extend Elements Up To Level Dialog reports the highest level on which an element is found, but won't extend ALL elements up to that level unless no elements are currently on it.  Hence the need to set everything on level 0 before raising them to a a higher level.

Schnee

>>Select 0 (the number) for the level.  That will set all objects on layer 0. 

Hmmm... actually it does not. It removes all EndLevel declarations, but an element set say to level 1 (data1=...) will remain at level 1.

What I want is just replace this data1= to data0= for certain type only, so that the element is visible at the highet level of zoom. (the highest level of zoom being zero, a rather weird way of seing things).

maps4gps

Consider data0= as designating that the feature will be visible to the most zoomed-in display the GPSr is capable of.  This is many levels more detailed than coordinates can be defined at in the GPSr.

With very few exceptions, as you zoom-in, once a feature is displayed you want that feature to remain displaying.  With data1=, the feature will not be displayed when zoomed-in
to a more detailed level than 1.  The endlevel# indicates at which level# the feature will first display as the GPSr is zoomed-in.

Reread the cgpsmanual.  Make and test some small samples in your local area.  Remember that how Garmin did things was found by trial-and-error, and as is stated in the manual - some things many not work in a logical manner.   

Schnee

>> With very few exceptions, as you zoom-in, once a feature is displayed you want that feature to remain displaying.  With data1=, the feature will not be displayed when zoomed-in

Exactly. This is my problem, first, when I added this new element, it was set to level1, I don't know why, secondly, what I want is setting it to level 0.
I don't see any function for that in GPSMapEdit.

Seldom

It probably was set to level 1 because you had zoomed to that range when you created the feature. 

If you still have objects that are on data1, just use Notepad++ to search and replace data0 for data1.

Schnee

>>It probably was set to level 1 because you had zoomed to that range when you created the feature. 

OK, but I zoomed the image for more precision in the design, nothing to do with the way it should be displayed in my GPS.

>>If you still have objects that are on data1, just use Notepad++ to search and replace data0 for data1.

Actually data1 for data0 ;-)
GPSMapEdit is such a poweful softwar, I can't imagine it does not have such an elementary editing facility :-(

Thanks for your help.

jbensman

I am a bit confused on what you are doing. 

Why are you creating things in level 1 instead of level 0?  Everything should be in level 0 and only things you want displayed at higher zoom levels on your GPS should be in the higher levels.

In GPSMapEdit, Ctrl 0 displays level 0, crtl 1 level 1 etc.

When you add something you can select which levels you want it to be added to.  If you have something in Level 0 and you want to extend it to level 1, right click, modify, extend all elements to level, then insert the level you want and evey thing you had selected will be extended to the higher level.

Seldom

Quote from: Schnee on October 19, 2011, 12:33:44 PM
>>It probably was set to level 1 because you had zoomed to that range when you created the feature. 

OK, but I zoomed the image for more precision in the design, nothing to do with the way it should be displayed in my GPS.

>>If you still have objects that are on data1, just use Notepad++ to search and replace data0 for data1.

Actually data1 for data0 ;-)
GPSMapEdit is such a poweful softwar, I can't imagine it does not have such an elementary editing facility :-(

Thanks for your help.

When you created the object on level 1 you should have gotten a warning "Object not on level 0, proceed?"

Actually "replace data1 WITH data0", "replace data0 FOR data1" 8)

You'll find the search and replace features of GPSmapedit are pretty limited.  You can perform a specified set of operations on a class of objects, and you can do some routing specific searches by road ID and node ID, but I'm not aware of a way to search for an object by name in order to change all roads named SR12 to "Major Highways".

Schnee

>>Why are you creating things in level 1 instead of level 0? 

I don't know, I was just creating things, MapEdit set them at level 1 without asking me, I don't know why.

>>When you add something you can select which levels you want it to be added to.

I always work at level 0, again I don't know how my element came at level 1.
It probably set level according to the actual zoom factor on the image.
I've seen and checked "Notify if creating results in object out of 0-th zoom level".
At least, I'll be notified next time.

Seldom

Quote from: Seldom on October 19, 2011, 01:12:57 PM
You'll find the search and replace features of GPSmapedit are pretty limited.  You can perform a specified set of operations on a class of objects, and you can do some routing specific searches by road ID and node ID, but I'm not aware of a way to search for an object by name in order to change all roads named SR12 to "Major Highways".

I should have added above, for serious search and replace you should try Global Mapper although even using that I still need to text edit for things like highway shields.

jbensman

Quote from: Schnee on October 19, 2011, 01:43:13 PM
>>Why are you creating things in level 1 instead of level 0? 

I don't know, I was just creating things, MapEdit set them at level 1 without asking me, I don't know why.

>>When you add something you can select which levels you want it to be added to.

I always work at level 0, again I don't know how my element came at level 1.
It probably set level according to the actual zoom factor on the image.
I've seen and checked "Notify if creating results in object out of 0-th zoom level".
At least, I'll be notified next time.

You are losing me.  What are you doing?  Are you adding stff like from a shapefile or gpx file?  Or are you creating stuff with the object tool?  If you are creating them, they will be created in the level you are viewing.  CRTL 0 gets you to level 0.  Create your objects there.

Seldom

Sounds to me like Schnee is using the object tool.  At least that's what I was doing when I got the not on level 0 error message.  I was creating an 0x4b polygon and I needed to be on level 3 to see all of it.  Fixed the level problem by text editing.

Schnee

QuoteOr are you creating stuff with the object tool?  If you are creating them, they will be created in the level you are viewing.  CRTL 0 gets you to level 0.  Create your objects there.

Yes, I was creating a polygone with the object tool, yes I was viewing the image at level 0 (I'm always at level 0), but with a high zoom factor for more accuracy. Nevertheless, I discovered later that the object has been created for level 1.
I didn't have the warning set, it was unchecked by default as I discovered later.

jbensman

I've used the object tool numerous times and it always creats the object in the level I am viewing.

What are you doing?  Are you tracing something from googlemaps?  If I want to trace something, I use googleearth and then add what I draw in GE to the map.