GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Looking for a new GPS...suggestions...

Started by fooey, October 06, 2011, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fooey

Looking to pick up a new gps handheld, well maybe not new because of price but new to me....

I had been looking at used Garmin 60CSx's but it looks like they are a PITA in terms of getting customized satellite overlays in, which is one thing I really want to be able to do...trying to avoid having to join a service through a mfg for this and have tinkered with the google maps overlays before.....

what models might one suggest?  I have seen mentioned that the Garmin Dakota and Oregon's are better suited for this....???

Thanks for dealing with the newb

Seldom

The 60CSX is good for most anything you want to do EXCEPT, paperless geocacheing, wireless cache sharing, and raster based satellite overlays.

DKs, ORs, and the new 62s should handle those issues.  You may also want to check out the new generation of Etrex 10, 20, 30.  I've used a 60csx, a 62s, and an OR300.  The big difference between the OR and the others is the buttons.  Frankly, I prefer the buttons to the touch screen, and the 60 and 62 have easier to read displays than the OR.

Boyd

Too bad that you just missed the big REI Oregon 450 sale for $200.  :(  But maybe there are people who picked one up at that price but later changed their mind and now want to sell?

In any case, that's probably your best bet if you can afford. Otherwise, maybe you'll find a deal on the old Oregon series such as the 200, 300 or 400t. But the screens on these old models really aren't as good (I have a 400t).

If you like buttons, maybe you can find a used Colorado - they also support raster imagery.

If money were no object, I think the Montana 600 is the way to go - I love mine. Screen is spectacular and it has many powerful features not available on any other model.

fooey

how about a Garmin 400C...found one used cheap....

Boyd

That's the same as my 400t but loaded with marine maps of some kind. The screen really isn't so great on these older models. They were groundbreaking at the time (almost 4 years ago) because there was nothing else like them. Not so much today. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on one of the old models and see if you find it acceptable.

With a new Oregon 450 going for $200 last month, that really should put these used models in the bargain basement IMO.

fooey

T. Hewett

I have a practically brand new in box 60 csx. Used it three times. If interested make me an offer.

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador