News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Please recommend a GPSr

Started by medic265, July 26, 2011, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic265

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a new GPSr.  I was hoping you guys with more experience with me can recommend something.

So here's my situation:

I'm hoping to map out the ATV trails we ride on here locally in Kentucky and then later create some type of file to share with everyone.

I think I would like to record my track as we go and then be able to save that.  I also would like to mark some waypoints of interesting things along the way.  I have been doing this with Gaia on my Iphone but would rather have a dedicated unit.

On any given ride we may cover as much as 100 miles.  But most of the ride is broken down into trails of maybe 20 miles at the most.  So I can either track the entire ride and break it down into individual trails at home.  Or stop and start each trail as we ride it.

What I hope to find is a used automotive GPS (their cheap) that I can load maps onto from mapsource.  I have a Nuvi 255W but so far I haven't even been able to pull up the maps I have tried to load.  I am going to dedicate whatever I use to this job as I have a good TomTom in my vehicle. 

Now if the Nuvi I have will do what I want then thats great.  I just need to learn how to use it.  But if not then I hope I can find something cheap on eBay.

So is there another unit you folks might suggest that I can look for or am I good with what I got.

Boyd

Your Nuvi should be compatible with most maps on this site, however the Nuvi series is "dumbed down" and gives you less control over the appearance of the map. Marking waypoints (called "favorites" on the Nuvi is easy. Just tap the screen and press the Save button. You can enter a name if you want, or just accept the default.

Tracks are another story. Your nuvi is always recording your track, you can't even turn this function off. The only track management functions on the Nuvi are to erase the track and either show/hide it on the screen.

Mapsource and Basecamp can read the track from your Nuvi, and you can try to chop it up then, but there are no functions on the Nuvi to name tracks or save portions of tracks. Just about any Garmin handheld model will have comprehensive track managment on the unit itself. You can save tracks, hide or show them, change their color, turn tracking on/off and load tracks from your computer.

That is another major drawback of the Nuvi series - it cannot load a track from your computer, it can only send tracks to your computer.

BobT

Medic265, I do just what you want to do.  I have made ATV Trail maps for Moab, Taylor Park, CO, and WV Outlaw and HM Systems.

The link below will take you to a site where you can download my detailed instructions on making the type map you want to make.  There are some map making tutorials on this site but I think mine is much more detailed with screenshots.  Mine shows you how to easily modify the look of tracks and POI's by modifying the Typ file.  I have an easy way to modify the Typ file.  I include a sample Typ file that all you have to do is change the 3 digit FID number.  I track with a Colorado and most of the people I ride with use Nuvi's with the maps installed on them.

Download the "Garmin Map Making Tutorial".
http://www.mediafire.com/?5lydy7hqzm7nw

Regarding which GPSr to use the bigger the screen the better.  That is why a lot of people use the Nuvi.  But as Boyd said you cannot load tracks onto them.  You have to make a map of your tracks, which in my opinion is much better.  If you don't want anything fancy there is a program "gpx2img" that will turn your tracks and Wpts into a map with one mouse click.  Just Google it.

Download my WV ATV Trails 2.0 from this site and it will give you a flavor of what your maps will look like with my Typ file.  Be sure and read the "Color coding scheme" during installation.  If you are using gpx2img you cannot get this detail without a lot of work.