GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lost my Tracks History in Basecamp

Started by bltrout, July 05, 2011, 03:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bltrout

Today I launched BaseCamp and it auto-updated to latest version. As happened in the past I got a "this application has failed to launch due to side-by-side error. Per past advice I went to Garmin website and down-loaded the latest Base Camp SW.

This again seemed to resolve the problem and I proceeded to downloaded my latest GPS track info into Basecamp.  Everything seemed okay, BUT, when I reopened Basecamp a little bit later, it would not launch and I got an error message that required me to select an option, that then when Basecamp did open,, ALL OF MY TRACK DATA (LAST TWO YEARS WORTH OF HIKING) WAS GONE!!

I'm devastated; is there anyway to retrieve my old Tracks information???

Please help before I commit suicide.

Regards,
Brent T

Seldom

Windows or Mac BaseCamp.
If Windows ask your question here:
https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
BaseCamp probably just didn't update all your info locations.

BaseCamp has a lot of nice features, but I find its data management a teensy bit obscure, so I copy my GPX files to a folder on my computer (GPSr in Mass Storage Mode) and IMPORT them into BaseCamp from there.

I just updated and was getting a List error message, warning that "Data Might Be Lost."   I got rid of that error by deleting the list.

bltrout

Seldom Sn,

Thanks for your help.

Can you point me to info on how you load your GPS60CSX tracks data into a separate PC file. I only know about the auto-download to BaseCamp that occurs when I connect my GPS to my computer's USB port.

Brent

Seldom

Connect your 60CSX to your PC with a USB port.
Do the following Key Strokes or Rocker moves.
Menu|Menu|Setup|Interface|USB Mass Storage
The removable memory should show up on your PC as a drive.
If you have been "saving your tracks to card" you should then see a list of GPX files with names made up of dates.
To save tracks to card:
Menu|Menu|Tracks|Setup|Data Card Setup|Log Tracks to Data Card

Indrid Cold

Also saw some of those error messages after updating on first bootup. Resolved everything by restoring the backup I did prior to  the upgrade.

Always update your data before doing an update.

bltrout

Seldom Sn,

Thanks again and yes, following your instructions, I do find the dot gpx files (several hundred k each) on my GPS memory card.

It appears there is a separate file (date coded) for each of my hike dates....even though I "erase tracks" after almost every hike.

Would you say that these files contain all of the GPS coordinate data for each of my hikes?

I'm kind of stupid. Assuming these files do contain my original hike data, what do I do now to get the info into BaseCamp?

Thanks for taking time to educate me.

Regards,
Brent

Seldom

The tracks you found stored on the card are the best quality data you can get.  The tracks you were erasing are simplified copies of the tracks on the card that were stored on your 60CSX's internal memory.  The tracks stored in the internal memory are useful because you can access them from the GPSr to do things like TrackBack (run the track you just made in reverse).  The tracks in internal memory are limited to 10,000 points.  The tracks stored on the card are not.  The tracks stored on the card are more useful for making maps.

bltrout

Thanks Seldom Sn and Indrid,

Am much happier as I am able to import all of my past hike's data from the "removable disc" memory per your instructions above. It will be a little time consuming to import all of these hikes and notate files again w/ hike name, etc.

Looks like I have lost forever the notes that I made in Basecamp describing my experiences, etc. on many of these hikes. Live & Learn, I guess. I wonder if there's a way to export the notes I make in Basecamp to an independent file on my hard drive as a backup in case I lose my data files in BC again in the future.

Anyway, I really want to thank you guys for your help. My disaster has been turned back to just a big inconvenience and some additional work but I've also learned alot.

Regards,
Brent

Seldom

Quote from: bltrout on July 08, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
Looks like I have lost forever the notes that I made in Basecamp describing my experiences, etc. on many of these hikes. Live & Learn, I guess. I wonder if there's a way to export the notes I make in Basecamp to an independent file on my hard drive as a backup in case I lose my data files in BC again in the future.
Don't know about exporting notes, but BaseCamp does a really good job of geotagging photographs.

Synchronize the time stamp on your camera with your GPS and BaseCamp can use the timestamps to locate where the photo was taken.  In BaseCamp select a track and then "Edit"|"Geotag photos using track".  You need to select a track first or the option doesn't show up.

If you aren't sure your camera time stamp is synched take a photo of your GPSr showing time of day.

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador