GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

tracking in mapsource

Started by oldwoodsman, June 07, 2011, 08:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldwoodsman

I've been using MS 6.5 for gps tracking on my old laptop now with 6.16.2 on my new laptop I no longer have a gps tab. A fter searching I found nRoute to down load, is this the way to go or will I lose other functions? ???

Indrid Cold

It doesn't work very well, please go to LINK and request the feature from the developers in the current software.

Boyd

I use nRoute and like it, because it renders my maps in the old Garmin style without adding strange artifacts like Mapsource and Basecamp. If you have been using the old version of Mapsource (and the version that supports tracking is REALLY old) then you will probably like nRoute.

However, it is not compatible with newer versions of City Navigator maps (not NT compatible) so that may be a problem for some people. You can no longer purchase the non-NT version of City Navigator.

oldwoodsman

If I download nRoute does it replace mapsource or can you run either? thanks for the help.
Tim

Boyd

They run side by side with no problems. nRoute will see any maps that you're already installed in Mapsource - except for City Navigator NT. I have used it on Windows XP, Vista 64 and Win7 32 with no issues. It is, however, slow to scroll/zoom with the complex topo maps I make myself. The new versions of Mapsource are much more responsive for this - I guess they are written to take advantage or modern graphics cards?

Anyway, if you liked the old Mapsource, I think you will be pleased with nRoute if you already have maps in the old format.

oldwoodsman

Boyd.... I should have mentioned that I'm using this for off road with topo maps is nroute the way to go?

Boyd

I think you need to answer that yourself. Give it a try. As I said, I like it, but you may find the display lags a bit behind your actual position, and track-up mode may have an especially hard time keeping up, so you may want to use north-up.

But if you've been using that ancient version of Mapsource, I suspect nRoute will behave pretty much the same.