GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Are BLM data sites down or moved?

Started by Seldom, May 31, 2011, 09:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

None of my links have worked all weekend. I'm looking for California Land Status shapefiles and abbreviations for New Mexico and California.

Thanks in advance.

maps4gps

If have just tried a number of BLM sites and they all said that service was temporarly unavailable.

Seldom

Back up now. 

Next question: anybody know of freeware that will convert ESRI Geodatabase files into shapefiles?

jbensman

No, there is no way to convert without the expensive ESRI software.

I'd ask BLM to convert ir for you.  The Freedom of Information Act requires them to convert it to shapefile.  But I would just ask them first.  I think it is generally better not to request it under FOIA unless they won't do it without a FOIA request.  When I added WA/OR to Western landownership, BLM converted it for me by just asking.  If I remember correctly, they gave me a link to download the files.

If you get it in shapefile, can you share with me so I can add CA to western land ownership?

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on May 31, 2011, 01:55:00 PM
If you get it in shapefile, can you share with me so I can add CA to western land ownership?

Happy to, and thanks for the info.  Mike at GM says ESRI GDB format will be supported in the v13 version of GM.

Just used the BLM "Contact Us" form.  Is that what you used jbensman?

jbensman

I think it was an email address on thier site.  If the federal agency who may have data I may want does not have it on thier website, I try to find an email for their GIS person.  I find it usually helps to tell them what I want the data for and give them a link to my maps on this site.  Normally, they are happy to help (but not always).  If you (or anyone else} needs help with FOIAing data, let me know

maps4gps

I thought GM10 was the first to support geodatabases.  Of course it did not work with NHD data.  Mike fixed it, once I got someone at NHD to contact him with examples.  Must have been other issues and it was removed.

I would be interested in the shape files for those 3 states.  The more areas I look at in detail, the more issues I am finding in the 'national' file I obtained from BLM.

When I looked a few weeks ago, I did not find a download for SMA data.  Nor did I find one at the Idaho BLM site - anyone obtain SMA data from CA or ID?

jbensman

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 07, 2011, 10:15:45 AM
jbensman,

FWIW, I've got no answer from CA BLM on getting their land status as a shape file.

Try calling the office and asking for the GIS person.  They could be on vacation. 

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on June 07, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
Try calling the office and asking for the GIS person.  They could be on vacation. 

Got an email from the CA office.  The GIS guy recommended using ArcGIS Explorer.  I downloaded a copy and spent an hour with it.  It will open the geodatabase files, but I can't figure out how to export the GDB file to something useful like a shapefile.  Anybody have any suggestions?

jbensman

There is no way to convert it without very expensive software.

I would suggest responding back something like this:

There is no way to convert the file without very expensive software.  I give away my maps so I cannot afford thousands to buy the software.  If there was a way I could do the conversion, I would. 
I prefer to not file a formal FOIA request.  However, if I do, BLM will have to spend time and resources on red tape and will have to convert the file because the Freedom of Informaiton Act requires BLM to convert the data:

"In making any record available to a person under this paragraph, an agency shall provide the record in any form or format requested by the person if the record is readily reproducible by the agency in that form or format. Each agency shall make reasonable efforts to maintain its records in forms or formats that are reproducible for purposes of this section."  5 USC ยง 552(a)(3)(B)

So please let me know if you are willing to convert the data without me filing a formal FOIA request.

Indrid Cold

GlobalMapper 13 will be able to do geodatabase format, that might be quicker

jbensman

They have 20 working days to respond to a FOIA request

Seldom

Quote from: Indrid Cold on June 08, 2011, 04:33:02 PM
That's on my list, but it's a few months off.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 08, 2011, 06:19:33 PM
Quote from: Indrid Cold on June 08, 2011, 04:33:02 PM
That's on my list, but it's a few months off.
I guess this is where patience would be a virtue

jbensman

When I tried to find a freeware way to convert gdb to shapefile, I was told ESRI was not releasing info needed to convert it.  So does anyone know how globalmapper is getting this ability and if there will be other freeware to convert it?