News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp - Please help

Started by Trojans1993, April 20, 2011, 11:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Trojans1993 on April 23, 2011, 11:31:10 PM
I have a GPSMAPS 60csx.  I dont think you can open more than one map at a time, but I thought I read somewhere that you could combine both into a single .img file somehow - does that sound right?
Yes, you can view both at the same time on your GPS, you don't need one of the newer units for that.

Boyd

I think you are confusing files with maps. All Garmin units allow you to use multiple maps and to enable more than one at a time. Newer models allow you to place each map in a separate file. With older models, you must combine all the maps into a single file named gmapsupp.img however this does not affect their function on the GPS itself.

Trojans1993

Do I use MKmap and MKmapGUI for this or is there a better option.  Also, there are several .img files in the two map folders that I want to load onto my gps, how do I know which .img files to select to combine?

babj615

T1993:

For the Garmin GPSMAP60csx you will need to use MapSource.

Once you have installed MapSource, and have installed the maps you want to use with your GPSMAP60csx, open MapSource.

Select the first map you want to use in the drop down menu at the top left of the MapSource window.

Select the "Map Tool" from the toolbar.

Zoom out until you can see the entire area of the map you want to use. Zooming out, you will eventually see grid lines where the mapset you have selected is broken up into quadrants, or different areas.

Having enabled the "Map Tool" in the toolbar, simply left click and drag the mouse to select the parts of the map you want to include for use on your GPSr, or simply left click once in each quadrant to enable/disable it. As you do so, you will see them listed in the "Maps" tab to the left side of the map.

Once you have selected everything you want to use from the first mapset, simply select the next mapset to use from the drop down menu at the top left of the window, as before.

Now repeat the process, selecting the sections of the map you wish to use, noticing they are added to the "Maps" tab list as you do so.

At the bottom of the list you will see the total size for all selected map area. If this exceeds the size of available memory on the SD card in your GPSMAP60csx, you will not be able to transfer the map.

Once you have completed selecting all map areas from all maps you wish to use, select "File", "Save As..." and save the map database to a safe location for future use. Use a file name that reminds you what is included in the custom map you have just created.

You can also add Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks to the map, and save the entire collection for future reference.

Now all you need to do is connect your GPSr and selelct "Transfer", "Send To Device", select your connected GPSr or GPSr SD card, and wait for MapSource to complete the task.

REMEMBER, this erases/over writes any maps you currently have on the GPSr or SD card, so back them up first if necessary.

Restart the GPSr once MapSource is finished, and enable the new maps you have installed on your unit, referring to the documentation that came with the unit for proper procedure to do so.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Trojans1993

babj-

Thank's so much for the instructions - that's just what I was looking for.  Doesn't seem like Garmin blows their budget on printing instructional manuals and thanks to sites like this we can find the help we need.

Tim

babj615

T1993, Glad we got that sorted out!

;-)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Trojans1993

Just got back from a 3 day pack trip in the San Jacinto mountains here in SoCal and thanks to the instructions I received my GPSr worked perfectly.  I was able to merge the Southwest TOPO info and the hiking trails from My Trails in Mapsource, send it to the GPS,  and the information from both maps displays on the GPS.   It was great being able to see exactly where i was at in relation to the trails in the area.  Also nice to be able to confirm my suspected location when navigating by map and compass.

Thanks again for the all the info.