GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Got new GPS from Amazon for Christmas

Started by jsrinhsv, December 31, 2010, 03:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsrinhsv

My folks ordered garmin 60cx from amazon as a Xmas gift for me.  When I got it, I saw that they ordered the 60 in lieu of the 62.  I want to return the unit to Amazon for exchange on a different unit.  Hope they will do it.
Reading this forum, I am now totally confused.    I want a unit to use in the woods. 
So help me here..  What is the unit to get.  I do want aerial photo maps  (Birdseye type) perhaps custom made aerial.
I don't have to have the best, but I do want a good GPS.   I have a zumo for my auto and mcycle, so this new unit is just for hunting or hiking.  Do I get GPSmap 62, 62 S   or Oregon 300 400 .
For those of you who are in the know,  which unit is the "Best buy".
Reviewing this forum, it looks like I would be well suited with the Oregon 450.  $350 range
gpsmap 62 is about the same price.  Help please   jsr in hsv ar

JSR

Boyd

You're right that the 60 series doesn't support BirdsEye or Custom maps of aerial imagery. The following models will support these features

Oregon
Dakota
Colorado
GPSMap 62
GPSMap 78

I think the Edge 800 may also support them, but not sure. Too bad that you missed the many sales that were available on the Oregon 450 during the past month or so. We saw it going for as low as $230 at one point. Looks like ~$340 is as good as you can do today. Hopefully another sale will come along.

Personally, I think that is the model to get. The update to the 60 series is the 62, but IMO they have been really over-priced for what you get. Looks liket he 62s is going for about $400 at the moment.

There were some good deals on the Colorado series a few months back (it's discontinued) but don't know if you can still find one. The Dakota 20 is another option, it was going for as low as $180 over the holidays, I see it for $285 now at Amazon. I'd avoid the Dakota 10 since it doesn't have a card slot and you need lots of memory for BirdsEye.

The Oregon 300 and 400t are older models. The 400t has 100k topo's preinstalled so it will cost more. The 300 is the earlier version of the 450, don't see many of those available anymore.

People often post about sales on these models here. Over at GPSReview we have an ongoing thread about all kinds of GPS sales: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9258&start=150

Good luck - with the holiday drawing to a close, it's hard to predict what will happen to prices.

jsrinhsv

new unit is just for hunting or hiking.  Do I get GPSmap 62, 62 S   or Oregon 300 400

thanks.
JSR IN HSV