GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Creating custom maps with GoogleEarth

Started by csonni, December 28, 2010, 01:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csonni

Now that I have some good Topo maps on my GPS, I'd like to create some custom maps layered with satellite imagery from GoogleEarth.  First of all, how do I "extract' sections of map to create a jpeg image?  I'm using a Mac with Garmin Road Trip and Base Camp.  Then, what is the best way to layer both together and calibrate it for accuracy?  Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Boyd

There are a variety of tools for this on Windows, not sure there are any for the Mac.

Have you tried BirdsEye yet? It is free to use on your computer, just plug your GPS in and run Basecamp. The program will prompt you for what to do. Download some imagery - be sure to choose "highest" detail (not "high") and see what you think.

Unless you're in an area where the quality isn't so great, I think this will save you a lot of time and frustration. There are no limits to how much you can download and store on the GPS. In my area, the quality is excellent. Evidently this varies a lot with location though.

But if you like the quality, for $30 it sort of makes custom maps feel like a fool's errand. As I said, it's free to use on your computer so you can try before purchasing. You only need to pay if you want to load it on your GPS.

csonni

Actually, I had on order the Birdseye disc but then cancelled when I heard the quality isn't that good.  I think I will try before buying.  Thanks for that suggestion.

csonni

Downloading some of that imagery now.  Looks like there is a limit on how much you can actually load.  Isn't there a way to get those images on the SD card?  Or is it the algorithm and how much can actually be used?  It's painfully slow in downloading.  I'm curious as to what quality I'll get.  I'll report back.

Boyd

Yeah, just check it out for yourself. Generalizations like that are useless because the data quality and provider varies depending on where you are.

FYI there is no such thing as a "BirdsEye Disk". It's all done online with your computer. You can buy a BirdsEye card and use the code from it instead of purchasing directly from Garmin, but unless you find a really low price, there's no advantage to that.

Also, register your GPS before you purchase BirdsEye (it's required). When you register, you'll get an e-mail with a 10% discount code you can use, lowering the price to $27.

Boyd

There's a limit to how large each individual download can be, but no limit to the total number of downloads. Not sure, but I think they placed some greater restrictions on how much you can download at once without purchasing.

Yes, you send it to a card or the GPS itself after downloading. As a free trial, you can send a small 1 mile square sample to the GPS. It will be chosen from the middle of the image you try to send. I have a 16GB card that is full of Birdseye at the highest resolution and it looks great on my Oregon.

csonni

You have a 16 gig card in your Oregon?  I thought there's a 4 gig limit? 

Boyd

Works fine for me. I don't believe there's a 4GB limit - Garmin's site is full of contradictory information.

Elsewhere I've read posts from a user who said a 32GB  card didn't work. Too bad, since I would like to be able to load more imagery than 16GB.

csonni

All downloaded.  Problem is, is that when I zoom in, much of the imagery turns black and white.  When I zoom back out, I can see the colors.  There's just a section which I can see as very detailed in real color.  But most of the imagery is colorless and no real detail.

Boyd

Sorry, never saw that problem myself. Garmin's support forum is a good place to read, learn and post questions. The software developers themselves are very active and helpful there: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

csonni

Checked the forum and others seem to have the same complaint.  GoogleEarth is so much better than what I'm seeing with Birdseye View.  I love the detail of some sections, but most of the imagery is useless.  Unless I'm missing something, I'd rather overlay GoogleEarth with my maps, at least for now.  Any suggestions?

csonni

How does one remove the downloaded imagery in Base Camp?  Where is it stored?

csonni

This looks interesting, although it's strictly for Windows:
http://freegeographytools.com/2007/using-gps-utility-to-importexport-gps-data-tofrom-google-earth
I suppose I could install it on my Windows PC and load it to my Oregon 450 with the PC.

csonni

Would these maps be good to work with?  Not a bad price.  I actually have MacGPS Pro as well.

Boyd

What maps? That link is for a program to transfer waypoints and tracks. Has nothing to do with maps.