Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Maps and Garmin 3760T

Started by jeeperaf, September 19, 2010, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeeperaf

Colleagues,

Long time reader first time poster...

A few quick questions (and yes I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer):

1) What topo maps work with the Garmin 3760T?

2) How do I load them?

I've experimented via BaseCamp but haven't had much succes

Many Thanks

Boyd

Topo maps work fine with the 3700 serie (I have a 3790 myself) although you don't have the menu options that are available on handheld units which allow you to fine-tune the display to your liking. But the 3d capabilities of the 3790t are pretty cool. If you press Menu > Tools > Settings > MyMaps you will see a "map" called North America DEM. This file contains medium resolution 3d elevation data that describes the terrain (the North America DEM file is about 1.6GB). If you enable this along with any 3rd party maps that you add, you will see shaded 3d terrain. In fact, the 3rd party map is "wrapped around" the 3d terrain so that mountains actually stick up from the surface. A picture is worth 1000 words... here's the "New Jersey Topo" by Maps4GPS (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/114/) along with North America DEM.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if your 3760 includes the North America DEM file... that may only be present on the 3790? Regardless, topo maps will work fine. Personally, I don't like the way the elevation contours are rendered - they are too fat. But that's just the way it is. As a mapmaker, I have tweaked my own style to look better on the Nuvi but I don't think anyone else is doing this...

The 3700 series has very impressive 3d capabilities. It turns the 2d map into a 3d image that you can rotate and view from any angle. Unlike other Nuvi's, it is an "optically correct" 3d transformation where the size of map objects is proportional to their distance from the viewer.

You would load the maps the same way as you would with any other Garmin unit. See the tutorials on this site for Mapsource and map transfer. They also apply to the 3700 series.

jeeperaf

Boyd,

100% agree that the "thinner" elevation lines look better and they appear to improve the "readability" factor.

Thanks!