GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Find Menu Disabled on Idaho Topo 24K

Started by stestardi, August 02, 2010, 09:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stestardi

When I load the Idaho Topo 24K into Mapsource 6.16.2, the Find menu item and Find toolbar icon are grayed out.  The Find Nearest Places and Find Recently Found Places both work correctly.

Any ideas what to do to fix this?

Thanks.

Steve

Boyd

I don't think there's any fix for this. From what I've seen, this is the only kind of find you can do with maps that were created with the free or shareware version of cgpsmapper. Or at least, that is the way my own Map of New Jersey behaves, even though there is a pretty extensive POI database.

stestardi

That's a shame especially given that all the POI info appears to be there and can be seen in FInd Nearest.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Boyd

As I said, almost all the maps on this site were created with either the free or shareware versions of cgpsmapper. I don't believe the free version offers any POI searching. The shareware version has limited search capability

QuoteCity and POI indexing, limited to a total of 100 cities and POIs in standard maps (indexing means that cities and POIs - working within ONE IMG file only
may be searched using the GPS receiver's "Find By Name" function (subject to the receiver's limitations) - working within ONE IMG file only
City and POI indexing, limited to a total of 65,500 cities and POIs in so-called POI maps, i.e. maps containing only cities
and POIs, with no dimensional objects (such as roads or forests) - maps created with '-i' switch
Additional city information: country and region
Additional POI information: country, region, city, and description (displayed in the details window), but no phone number or full address

If I understand this, searches are limited to only the currently viewed map segment ("within one IMG file) and not the whole mapset.

However, Stan has ceased development of cgpsmapper just now, and said he would make the personal version available for much cheaper. Looks like that has now happened - it is $40, only $10 more than the shareware. IIRC, it was several hundred dollars before. It should support full POI search (if I'm reading this correctly?)

QuoteUnlimited POI cities indexing
Full POI address and additional description
Searching by address - street name, house number and optionally zip code and city - now available as global indexing - working within whole mapset (note: at the moment before using map in GPS, it has to be processed by MapSource to convert global index into GPS format)
Searching for intersections

-Oz-

Interesting, I made the map and only have shareware (and didn't even have that before 6 months ago or so).  For $40 though I might get personal.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

"Personal" is good.  Renders much better than mkgmap, but is much pickier about routing data.  Lots of errors show during the compile that don't get caught by GPSmapedit.

I'm just starting to test routing, but it seems to get my GPSr to beep on approach to turns at pedestrian speeds, something mkgmap didn't do.