GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Imperial Dunes maps

Started by evance, May 24, 2010, 04:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evance

Does anyone have custom maps (Garmin Rino 530 HCx) of the Imperial Sand Dunes closure areas?
I am new to custom maps and do not want to traverse the miles and miles to "map" the perimeters. 
Any other suggestions would be greatlyl appreciated.   ???
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W
Mobile XT for Windows Mobile

-Oz-

If they don't exist you could see if the data is available online and then someone could make one for you (or you could).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

evance

Thanks for the files.  I'll play around with them and see if I can figure out how to create a custom map.

jolly47roger:  Thanks for the map.  I'll dump them to my device later today and give it a try.

Thanks again!!
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W

evance

I can't get GE2GPX to load the .kmz file (error: kmz compression method not supported).  I have also converted the .kmz file to a .gdb (using GPSBABEL) but I can not see the map in MapSource (ver. 6.13.7 with trip and waypoint manager v5).  Any ideas?

On a side note, I have downloaded and installed the Arizona Topo.  Looks great.
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W

Boyd

Quote from: evance on May 24, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
Does anyone have custom maps (Garmin Rino 530 HCx) of the Imperial Sand Dunes closure areas?

There's a fundamental problem here. All the maps on this site were initially called "custom maps", but Garmin came along a year ago and introduced a feature called "custom maps" which is completely different. Garmin's "custom maps" are .kmz files made from scanned images. They are only compatible with the Oregon, Dakota and Colorado GPS'es. The newly announced GPSMap 78 and 62 will also be compatible.

But no other Garmin models can use this type of maps. Since you have a Rino, unfortunately jolly47roger's map won't work for you.

So, "careful what you wish for"... you asked for a custom map and you got one.  :'(

evance

Boyd, thanks for the clarification.
I am going to try and use Google Earth, GE2GPX, GPSBABEL, MapSource and Map Install to create my own map and/or overlay.  I hope it won't be too bad   :o
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W

Boyd

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to do, but if you want to create a MAP, I don't believe those tools will do it. They could be used to send tracks, waypoints and routes but not maps.

There are excellent mapmaking tutorials on this site, but it's a lot of work. For a more user-friendly program you could check out http://mapwel.eu/

It is the easiest to use Garmin map-making program, but many people still find it difficult to comprehend. It has some limitations, and would not be the best choice to map a whole state (for example), but to make your own smaller maps it is actually pretty nice.

It will run on your computer with the free download, but you need to purchase a key in order to send the complete map file to your GPS.

evance

Really, all I want to do is make a set of overlays (shaded areas) which mark closure/off limit areas for atv riders.  It seems like a pretty easy concept, but I'm not sure how to get started  :-\
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W

Boyd

Unfortunately, shaded areas are polygons, and if you make a map overlay they will cover up everything underneath.

If you make a complete map, then line features (like roads, streams, elevation contours) will be drawn on top of the polygons.

evance

A shaded polygon would be OK, for the location I'm looking at.  There is really nothing out there but sand, and the elevation contours really don't matter to me out there. 
I can start with a polygon and over time I'll work on my map making skills.

Thanks for your advice.
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W

Boyd

In that case, Mapwel will be a pretty easy solution.

evance

It is too hot to make any trips until mid October.  But my family and I make several trips during the fall and winter months.
Rino 530 HCx
ETrex legend
Nuvi 200W