GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Does Loading Maps Erase Previous on Oregon?

Started by jj, March 24, 2010, 01:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj

I have had both AZ and WI topos on my Garmin from this site via Mapsource.  When I load AL both AZ and WI disappeared.  I reloaded WI and AL disapeared (in the Oregon unit).  I checked the memory card and I'm not anywhere near capacity.

Should I be highlighting everything from the various states I want and downloading to the Oregon at the same time?

Thanks for any advice.

Boyd

Mapsource is older software and the Oregon uses a more modern system. Whenever you send a map from mapsource, it gets named gmapsupp.img and therefore erases the previous map.

So the trick is this: send your first map, then mount the GPS like a disk, open the Garmin folder and find the file named gmapsupp.img. Now change the name to whatever you like, such as ALtopo.img. Just be sure to use the .img file extension. I'd also suggest using ONLY letters and numbers in the filename with no blank spaces or special characters.

Now you can send another map and it will also appear as gmapsupp.img on the Oregon. Repeat the procedure and re-name this fille to, such as WItopo.img. Repeat as needed. You can then copy all of these files to a folder on your computer, and start building a collection. Then in the future, you can manage your maps by just dragging and dropping between the Oregon and your computer.

maps4gps

QuoteShould I be highlighting everything from the various states I want and downloading to the Oregon at the same time?
That is the only way to combine mapsets on the 'older' units.  You can also do it on the 'newer' units; however, you then have to rebuild and transfer the combined file each and every time you add (or remove) a mapset or a quad/tile.
The method Boyd described is far better and much more flexable.

jj

Boyd:

Thanks so much for your advice.  It means so much to people like me to get help from you.  This looks like its working.

Awesome.

Thanks again man

Boyd

tony12

*Link Removed*
*Link Removed*
*Link Removed*
*Link Removed*