GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

some roads incomplete in VT on mapsource

Started by psychoclime, February 25, 2010, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychoclime

I have Mapsource 6.15.11 & downloaded 'Northeast Topo United States Part 1 of 3' Map & installed so I see it in Mapsource. However, some roads appear to end in the middle of nowhere, e.g. I-91 stops just N of Rt 302 & Rt 302 stops E of S. Ryegate. It appears that they stop at the Orange Caledonia (counties) line.
1) Am I doing something wrong? I have traveled both those roads so I know they don't stop where the map says.
In a little more examinations, I see NO roads in Caledonia, though there are towns, churches, cemeteries, etc.
I've played around w/ amount of detail that's displayed, but that doesn't affect the absence of roads in Caledonia.

There's an up dated New England map at http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/NE-topo-map.html which I had downloaded & has the roads complete, but topo lines are at 50ft intervals rather than the 20 ft. of the map from gpsfiledepot.
2) is there any way to merge these two maps so I can see the roads in Caledonia & the 20' contour lines at the same time?? Or maybe just roads in Caledonia??

3) I put part of the map from gameandfishnetwork on etrex vista HCx & zoomed out all the little streams displayed so fat that I couldn't see much else. Is there a way to turn off stream display?

Any suggestions on any of these is appreciated.

maps4gps

Census data, which is our usual free source of road/street data, is by county.  Sounds like the mapauthor missed a file for Caledonia county.  Point and area features are in other files and he used USGS NHD data for hydro.

Try selecting the quads from one mapset (they will be listed in the box on the left in MapSource);
then add those from a second mapset; then send the combined set to the GPSr.  There may or may not be a display conflict.  You can also display either by itself on the GPSr.

A mapset gets built as a 'package'.  It is not possible to select a feature type to transfer nor display nor alter the display zoom level for a feature type.  You might contact the author of the G&F and mention your visibility issue with that mapset.

psychoclime

thanks for explanation about county data. I selected segments from both mapsets in Mapsource for the same area & loaded onto chip & they seem to display together without any great problem.

Now if I go to 'set up map' & I, I see a whole slew (~25) of one map series (I guess one for each square), followed by a bunch from the other map series. Is there any way to combine the different segments of each mapset, so it's easier to turn one whole series of map segments (mapset?) on or off at once?
Did I do something wrong in selecting the map (squares) in mapsource that made them all separate maps in the etrex?

Sure wish I'd discovered this site a couple years ago!

Thanks

maps4gps

If it is like the 76, etc.; on the page with the individual quads listed (map setup information), press menu and you shoud have a listing of the mapsets with actions (show/hide) you can take for the different mapsets or all of them.