GPSFileDepot.com

Same custom map "loaded" multiple times....

Started by n2stitch, February 20, 2010, 09:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2stitch

I know I saw a topic on this, either here or on Groundspeak, but now I can't find it.  People reported installing custom maps and having them show up multiple times in the map list.  I'm using an Oregon 550 and have several custom maps installed on an 8 Gb microsd card.  Each mapset was sent to the card and then the img file renamed to something sensible, such as "MOtopo.img".  I'm running SW 3.20, and GPS SW 3.70.

Can someone either refresh my memory as to the fix for this, or point me to the topic where it's discussed?  Thanks!

Lalita

PS Wasn't sure if this belonged in this section or in GPS units, so feel free to move it if you think it belongs in there instead.  Thanks!

Seldom

Assume you are referring to vector custom maps, not XML raster "custom maps".   What symptoms are you seeing?

The problem usually happens when two maps share the same FID, but are compiled differently.  When it happened to me, I had one transparent map sharing the same FID as several non-transparent maps.   The same family name then showed up twice on my 60CSX. 

Others have reported similar behavior when level settings are different.

n2stitch

Yes, custom vector maps.  I should have specified that, but I still think of these as "custom maps", not the offical Garmin-defined custom maps.

I will check my FID's.  I don't know if I can look at the level settings as these are maps from various sources.

The only symptom I'm seeing is when I go into the Setup, Maps, and Enable/Disable Maps I have some maps listed two or three times.  The unit display seems fine, and displays or hides maps as I select (as long as I disable the correct instance of the map name.)  It doesn't seem to be really causing me a problem, I just recalled seeing the issue.  The different levels was what I read about before, thanks for the reminder!

Lalita

Seldom

You can use MapEdit to check the levels on unlocked IMG files.

BAT1800

I am experiencing the exact same problem  ???  as seen here:

I have checked all of my FIDs and there are no duplicates, any other suggestions?

BAT

eaparks

I had the same problem several day ago and started a thread on Groundspeak.  My problem was that some of my custom maps were American 7 bit and 2 were European single-byte in GPSMapEdit.  Here is the Groundspeak thread that discusses several things you may need to check.  http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=241730&hl=

BAT1800

Thanks for the response and the link... this has officially gone over my head  :'(  Guess I have some more homework to do.

Seldom

Quote from: BAT1800 on February 26, 2010, 11:11:15 AM

I have checked all of my FIDs and there are no duplicates, any other suggestions?

BAT

Try disabling one of the duplicates to see what remains.  Assuming you either have the source.MP files or unlocked IMG files, you can learn pretty much about them with MapEdit.  You can find the 7 bit American vs. single-byte European coding that eaparks mentions on the first tab of the Map Properties menu.  That Costa Rican map is probably single-byte  European.

BAT1800

I am working with unlocked img files that were downloaded from this site installed on my PC then installed to the GPSr via Mapsource.  I can tell you that all of the maps that are duplicates are in fact Transparent Maps (fwiw).  Also, the Costa Rican Map does not show up as a dup.

I will search out Mapedit and give that a try and see what I can see.

Thanks for all the responses,

BAT

chaseat99

I did not understand the link to groundspeak solution either. Sounded like something to be done during map making? I use mapsource and when I loaded CA Topo I got a double listing on my gps. Maybe someone can explain in simpler terms. All my other maps are east coast.
thanks
chase

Seldom

The problem I've had involves minor differences in the way I made my maps.  I'd be interested to see the differences you two discover.  As I mentioned above, try disabling one of the duplicate maps and see what you lose.  Then look at the IMG files in MapEdit to see if you can find the difference.

BAT1800

Quote from: chaseat99 on February 26, 2010, 09:20:54 PM
I did not understand the link to groundspeak solution either. Sounded like something to be done during map making? I use mapsource and when I loaded CA Topo I got a double listing on my gps. Maybe someone can explain in simpler terms.
That solution is for the map makers, not the user. If you are a user and see this, you would want to contact the map author and report your findings. They are generally looking for your feedback to be able to update their maps.

The California TOPO is one example and the author does know of this issue. It's a trade off as that map is made from two mapsets that are layered; one a planimetric map and a transparent contour layer.

Thanks for the suggestion, in the case of my issue it just so happens that all of the suspect maps are from the same author so I will drop him a note.

Boyd

Quote from: BAT1800 on February 26, 2010, 04:58:14 PMI can tell you that all of the maps that are duplicates are in fact Transparent Maps (fwiw).

I have read that the new versions of the Oregon system software create some kind of issue with transparent maps. Have not used any on my Oregon personally, and am also several versions behind with system software.

You might try downgrading to some older system software and see if that helps. I think you will find info on how to do this at the Oregon Wiki site.

jbensman

Since the maps in quesiton are mine, I will point out I have spent many hours trying to figure out what is cauing the problem.  I use identical settings for the various mapsets.  But for reasons I have never been able to figure out, they show up multiple times.  Otherwise, everything works fine.  I gave up on trying to do anything about it.  If you want to turn a mapset off or on, you just need to select them all.

As to the last post, yes there is also a problem with transparent maps in the CO and OR.  It is a draw order problem and I am rather upset Garmin has not fixed it yet.  Please complain to Garmin!!!!  The more they hear, maybe they will fix it.  The problem is they draw on top of things they should not.  For example, transparent maps draw on top of your track.  So if you are out on a lake, you cannot see your track.  They also draw on top of geocaches and some other icons.

Seldom

The draw order problem with transparent maps and the magenta routing line was fixed in OR x00 software version 3.6.  I'm not familiar with the other problems jbensman lists.