GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Did I break my Oregon 450?

Started by scottx16, February 15, 2010, 06:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottx16

Please help me out. I have read through the forums on here and downloaded several maps to mapsource and then sent to my Garmin. At first I had several good maps, and everything looked good on my Garmin. Then I tried to remove some and do some different stuff, now the only map that shows up is terrible. I have maps enabled on my Garmin. I have a SD card also in my Garmin. What did I do?

maps4gps

I doubt that you 'broke' it; however give us a reasonable amount of info to try to assist you.
Which maps?
How did you try to remove them?
What is 'do some different stuff?
What do you mean by terrible?
Which maps are enabled?

scottx16

Maps i have on my Garmin: mti_mo, my topos,WW DEM Basemap.my topos (AGAIN). All enabled.
I was trying to figure out how to remove one version of my topos since it shows up twice. Now no roads show up and i have no topo lines on my map. Thanks for the help. I will get you any info. I can but I am really new at this and this my first GPS.

scottx16

Also, When downloading and sending maps I would adjust the zoom to about 200-300 highlight the whole map and send it to my Garmin.

scottx16

Any help would be appreciated as my Garmin is almost useless with the map that shows up now.

maps4gps

You would remove a file by connecting a USB cable to the GPSr and removing a file the same as you would if it were on your computer's hard drive.

How did you get the mapsets to the Oregon?  You should have used MapSource or the MAC equivalent.

Did you transfer each mapset individually and rename the gmapsupp.img file; or did you build them in MapSource at one time and then transfer an individual gmapsupp.img file?

Caution: the WW DEM Basemap is the basemap which comes with the GPSr.  Do not delete it; make a backup copy to your computer's harddrive (an maybe elsewhere).

There might also be a conflict if both mti_mo and my topos are both enabled at the same time.

You unit is an OR450 and not a 450t, correct?

Boyd

When deleting files, DO NOT delete gmapprom.img or gmapbmap.img - these are the preloaded maps (if any) and the basemap. Before deleting ANYTHING, make a backup by dragging all the files on your Oregon to a folder on your computer.

scottx16

I think I may have deleted some mapimg. files. I downloaded mapsource and sent the maps from this site one at a time to my garmin Oregon 450. I am assuming i no longer have basemap because streets no longer show up if i have it on when im driving. Anybody live in missouri that knows anything about these that could take a look?

Boyd

If you've only used Mapsource, then you didn't delete anything which you shouldn't. Mapsource sends all its maps to one file in the Garmin folder named GMAPSUPP.IMG. If you send one map, then a second map, the second one will replace the first one. Each map that you send with Mapsource replaces any others that you previously sent.

scottx16

So they all show up as enabled on my garmin unit but youre saying they are not there? How do i get all the maps back and working on my gpsr?

maps4gps

If they are not there they should not be shown as enabled nor as disabled.

Everytime you send a 'map' from MapSource to the GPSr it creates a gmapsupp.img file and overwrites any currently on the GPSr.  -- Exception would be if you sent one to the GPSr's internal memory and a second to the micro memory card; two files with the same name may cause some type of problem.

Two options for transfering more than one mapset:
1.  After selecting quads/tiles in MapSource from one mapset (they will be listed in the window on the left in MapSource), display another mapset in MapSource and add quads/tiles from it.  When finished, have MapSource create the gmapsupp.img file.  Using a card reader works better than having the micro memory card in the GPSr.
2.  Have MapSource create a gmapsupp.img file from a single (or more) mapset.  Then rename the gmapsupp.img file to another name with a .img file extension; i.e. motopo.img, mytopo.img.
Do this for additional mapsets.