GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question from rank newbie on etrex vista HCx

Started by psychoclime, February 14, 2010, 09:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychoclime

I have a Garmin etrex vista HCx, currently no microSD card, so basic map. Found here the topo maps for New England and seriously considering a microSD & getting that map. Am I correct in thinking that the map here <http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/103/> will work on my vista HCx?? or am I missing something? If they do, will it display tracks & waypoints on the topo map like it does on the (quite bare) base map that came with unit? I'm unclear on where things are stored if one has a microSD chip installed. Without looking I think one can tell it where to store track or waypoints - would that affect if those are displayed on the topo map?

On different issue, Garmin site says that if upload of later version of firmware fails the unit might have to be returned to Garmin for repair. Believe I'm several versions from current and would like to update to use larger microSD chip. Anyone have any problems updating the firmware on this device?

On yet another issue: if I mark a waypoint at a particular spot & then do another immediately at the same spot but have it average, the averaged waypoint has the altitude way off - fairly consistently. And the unaveraged waypoint seems closer to reality when I compare to printed topo map of same area than the averaged one. Any clues or thoughts??

Thanks for any help.

-Oz-

I've never had an issue upgrading the firmware on any of my units so I wouldn't worry too much; just make sure you have batteries in it so it doesn't lose power.

And yes, that map will work on your Vista HCX.

It will display tracks and waypoints on top of the map.

No clue on the altitude except that the Hcx uses a barometer for the altitude... if you really want to test test at a benchmark; the topo maps won't give you as accurate as an elevatino as you might think.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Vector map data goes on the micro memory card; tracks and waypoints go to the GPSr's internal memory.

psychoclime

Quote from: -Oz- on February 14, 2010, 11:36:42 PM
I've never had an issue upgrading the firmware on any of my units so I wouldn't worry too much; just make sure you have batteries in it so it doesn't lose power.

Seems power is supplied by USB, if I lose power on the computer I'd expect it would be bad news, but I'll keep those batteries in & charged.

And yes, that map will work on your Vista HCX.

Woopie! Do you know if that map contains roads as well? This may be dumb question, but can I switch between basic map & the topo map I have on microSD?

It will display tracks and waypoints on top of the map.
I sure have been missing a lot w/ this unit.

No clue on the altitude except that the Hcx uses a barometer for the altitude...

I thought GPS provided altitude info. I can't figure out from manual how barometer interacts w/ GPS altitude info, but barometric pressure generally changes far more slowly than the estimated position (& I assume altitude) garnered from satellites, but see there's a fixed elevation option, so I'll try the average noaverage comparison again w/ fixed.

if you really want to test test at a benchmark; the topo maps won't give you as accurate as an elevatino as you might think.

Not clear what you're saying - that the printed topo maps from USGS are not accurate as to altitude? If not how do I get accurate altitude info to calibrate barometer? Can't use pressure because as far as I know any weather station publishing current barometric pressure would be at considerable distance from me & different altitude.

This site is really great! Wish I'd discovered it 2 years ago. Lots of studying to do.

maps4gps

I have also heard the fresh batteries when upgrading which does not equate with power and data coming from the computer.  Perhaps if the computer goes down and the GPSr has power it does not replace the old files with the new.

I have not seen a non-overlay/non-transparent mapset that does not contain road data.  That one does not say it does; however it does mention Census data which is the usual source for road/street data.

Altitude can be obtained from the GPS satellites and/or the barometer.  Most GPSr's can use either or some combination which makes it somewhat confusing.  With satellites the vertical 'error' is usually 2-3 times that of the horizontal. 

On elevations on the printed topos, Oz may have been refering to the standard that 95% of the contours lines are within one-half contour interval.  Also to cartographic license where features may have been moved slightly so they will print clearly (with enough seperation so the ink does not run together).  Besides the horizontal adjustment from NAD27 to NAD83, there is also a slight vertical change that few consider.  The best model for the world-wide geoid has less than 100,000 terms and is probably not even used in non-surveying/non-military GPSr.

-Oz-

The GPS normally gets the altitude from the barometric pressure and sometimes calibrates based on the GPS' reported altitude.

When you are viewing the elevation you should be able to calibrate and that can use the GPS elevation to calibrate.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!