GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Map Transfer Problem

Started by TomD, February 12, 2010, 11:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomD

I transfered two sections of the California Topo to my Garmin 76CSx using Mapsource.  The map looks fine on my PC, but on the Garmin, the map is covered with a blue grid which makes using it impossible. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it?

maps4gps

If the lines are diagonal, it indicates display is centered outside the area of the quads/tiles you transfered.  Check to make sure what was transfered is active.

TomD

It may be that. I deleted the map and reloaded another one by selecting a bigger number of sections.  I can see the hatch pattern until I get to the edge of the map, then it is okay.  I think that maybe the problem was that with only two segments, the GPS wasn't seeing the edge of the map for some reason. Thanks for the help.

maps4gps

I do not recall anyone mentioned that before.
I do recall that in sending more than 10Mb or so of data from MapSource directly to my 76csx, non-existent data would be displayed at various zoom levels.  I got around this by having MapSource build the gmapsupp.img file to a thumb drive and then to copy it to the 76csx.
A better way would be to place the micro memory card in a card reader, then move the card to the 76csx.

TomD

That's what I did-used the card reader.  I'm really new at this as you can tell. What I realized is that I have plenty of room on my card (2G) so I can load up a big area and just ignore what I don't need.

Now I want to figure out how to load a route onto the map.  I tried creating one yesterday and figured that part out, now I have to learn how to transfer that so that it shows up on the map. I think I understand how. We shall see.

maps4gps

I recently looked at two areas in this mapset and did not notice anything like that.
Any specific area (coords), or is it the entire State?
Did you have the 76csx also display a UTM, etc grid?

TomD

It looks like the problem may have been due to using just a really small part of the big map. When I loaded up a much larger portion of the map, I could see the cross hatching outside of the map boundaries on my screen when the scale was zoomed out, but when I zoomed in so the map filled the whole screen, the map looks fine.  I have no idea what caused the problem, but it works fine now and that's all I care about at this point.

maps4gps

That mapset is unusual in being two mapsets (a planimetric and an overlay contour line) in one.
You may have initially just loaded a smaller sized overlay quad and not also an larger planimetric quad.  I have encountered this when testing an overlay quad and without a 'normal' nor the built-in basemap being active.

TomD

Thanks for the explanation. The files did look very small, but I don't know what a normal sized map file would look like.