GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

2008 TIGER Data is now available

Started by Todd_S, December 11, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd_S

I just saw on the Census Bureau site that TIGER 2008 was just made available on 12/8/08. I downloaded two counties in California and it looks like San Bernardino has been realigned and Riverside so far has not been.

You can find the data here:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp2008/tgrshp2008.html

Todd_S

I have now dowloaded the TIGER 2008 data for San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, Mohave (AZ), and La Paz (AZ) counties and taken a look in ArcGIS.

San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and San Diego counties all look really good now. San Bernardino has been completely realigned when compared to all previous versions of TIGER. Both Los Angeles and San Diego counties look like they have minor revisions from the TIGER 2007 data that was posted earlier this year. Both Mohave County and La Paz County look like they have been realigned as well and are quite accurate when compared to aerial imagery and USGS 7.5" topo data.

It apears as though Orange and Riverside counties have been worked on but the freeways still look pretty bad. Most streets in both counties look spatially accurate when compared to older TIGER releases but the freeways look like a work in progress still. I'm guessing these will be completed in the next release.

-Oz-

Hmm, guess I'll have to redownload Nevada and Oregon since those aren't out yet.

Thanks for the note.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

I emailed Census about realignment and they said all counties had been.  There are two sections of I25 between Denver and Colorado Springs that are coded as a lesser road type.  Census created this data set to assist in taking the Census - roads with housing (addresses) are important, others not so much so.

OZ, hope you enjoyed the break last weekend when the USGS servers were down.

-Oz-

Ah yes, but the break is over now, esp since the new tiger data should fix the roads issues that Pima county was having in my Arizona topo.

I was amazed the servers were down that long too.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Well, I have updated my program to get the 2008 data and updated the tutorial as well.

Now I just need to go back and update my maps.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!