GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How Do I Load Maps On My GPS Unit?

Started by -Oz-, February 04, 2010, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Quote from: Russ1217 on October 06, 2015, 04:09:22 PMI just can't get the NY topo map (which is stored in a folder with dozens of ".img" files) from my computer

Can you view the NY topo map in Basecamp on your computer?

2Wolfes

Having the same issue - get exactly the same results..No unlocked maps were found for this device... (Oregon 650)

This is a new Win10 PC.  D/L'd newest version of BaseCamp (4.6.2)  Unable to install any maps from gpsfiledepot.com.  I have 12 state topo maps already installed (from a few years ago using an older PC).  BaseCamp doesn't recognize as being on the GPS (Oregon 650).  The files are on an SD card - can move the card to another 650 and it works just fine.  Just can't anything to install and be recognized.  Arghhhhh. 

Any ideas.  I've done the help files, the tutorials, tried reinstalling the maps I already have installed, tried installing new maps - nothing works.  At all . . .

-Oz-

Do they show on base camp at all (map products) regardless of being on the GPS. Also, can you try to install mapsource and see if that makes them appear. This far I haven't been able to simulate this issue with Windows 10 and the newest base camp.

Some people had luck putting the maps in c:\garmin. There are issues with that with ssd but...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

2Wolfes

Thanks for your response.  I was able to resolve the issue with redirecting the installation of the maps to C:\Garmin (the installers ask fortunately).  Here's a note I posted earlier today about the same issue.

===================================================

After much head scratching, weeping and gnashing of teeth, I started playing around with the install instructions (I'm not near techy/nerdy enough to be comfortable with this).  I noticed that the topo maps I was working with wanted to install to c:\programfiles(x86)\topomapname.  Since the Garmin GPSs require the compiled map to be in the *:\Garmin subdirectory to be recognized I just changed the location in the setup screen to c:\Garmin.  That maps went there (were compiled there?) and Basecamp found them right away. Don't know if it's a Win10 thing or a BaseCamp thing but it works now.

So, in a nut shell - Win10 system, BaseCamp 4.6.2 --

Make sure the maps install to to C:\Garmin.  You'll be asked where you want them to go during the installation process.

Oh, and now I see that Firemann59 posted the same solution. 

I have spent WAY too much time on the forums these last two days.  There's some great information here.  And I can actually understand some of it.

Thanks to all who ask and those who share their knowledge.
Modify message

===================================================

Boyd

I posted a response in this thread: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4939

Garmin uses this location for map installation, and a properly written third party installer can do this too.

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps

Garmin changed the install location for maps with the introduction of Windows Vista, so I suspect you are using some old maps and the installers are using the locations that worked in Windows XP.

BTW, it really helps if you don't start multiple threads on the same topic. It just makes it harder for people to help when the discussion is split between forums. ;)

2Wolfes

So sorry about the multiple threads.  I'll do better . . . :-[

"Garmin uses this location for map installation, and a properly written third party installer can do this too.

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps  "

My Win10 system doesn't have the "C:\ProgramData" subdirectory.  As I haven't installed a Garmin map (one put out by Garmin) on my system, I can't speak to what they use for a location on a Win10 system.  Regardless, by directing the maps from this site to "C:\Garmin\mapname" BaseCamp finds 'em and installs 'em.  And that makes me happy.   ;D ;D

-Oz-

I'll test this when I get home and adjust the instances template
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Quote from: 2Wolfes on March 11, 2016, 07:58:09 AMMy Win10 system doesn't have the "C:\ProgramData" subdirectory.  As I haven't installed a Garmin map (one put out by Garmin) on my system

Wow, I guess Win 10 is really different then. The C:\ProgramData directory is not a "Garmin thing", it's where all programs are supposed to store their data to make it available to all users. So it exists on Win 7 and Vista regardless of whether you have any maps on your computer.

We have a mega-thread about installers here: https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=2383.0

From one of my posts there:

QuoteIf I use a command prompt and type "set", I see

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData

Can you try this on Win 10 (just type SET on the command line)? I think the location specified in ALLUSERSPROFILE is where Garmin creates its "Maps" subdirectory, and is the standard place where Garmin software looks for its maps.

2Wolfes

Ok, managed to get the command prompt up (I said I wasn't the most "techy" apple in the crate  :o).  Anyway, ran "set" and yep, there's the "ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData".  But I can't find that directory using the default file explorer on the PC.  I reckon it's hidden from folks like me.  I noticed when I installed the FL topo, that it didn't give me an option of changing it's destination - it just ran right through and loaded.  And BaseCamp found it just fine.  So went looking for it using the "find" feature of the file explorer.  and it found it in the C:\ProgramData directory!! 

My speculation -

The Windows installer for the FL map was tweaked to use the "ProgramData" directory for the maps (to match change the Garmin made with Vista - something you pointed out  :D) .  The others I've installed are and earlier version that us the "Program Files (x86)" directory - the pre-Vista destination.

You knew what ailed me early on ("Garmin changed the install location for maps with the introduction of Windows Vista, so I suspect you are using some old maps and the installers are using the locations that worked in Windows XP.")  I just needed to make sense of that change.  I'm a newb at all this and a visual learner.

My next project will be to reload the maps other than the FL topo and change the destination folder to "C:\ProgramData\mapname" and get rid of my "workaround".

Interesting to note, when installing the "MyTrails" overlay the default destination is "C:\Garmin\MyTrails".  Must be why I "figured out" where to sent the other maps . . . ???

Thanks so much for your comments and insight.

Boyd

Quote from: 2Wolfes on March 13, 2016, 07:12:48 AMMy next project will be to reload the maps other than the FL topo and change the destination folder to "C:\ProgramData\mapname" and get rid of my "workaround".

Great, glad that you figured it out. However, I think the correct location is actually "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\mapname". :)

-Oz-

Alright so I wiped a computer and spent some time experimenting. It turns out Windows 10 changed how the NSIS installer works to it "doubled" the registry and loaded it into the wrong spot. This meant that it wouldn't work. The weird catch was if you had previously installed one prior to the upgrade for some reason it installed correctly. Additionally, it doesn't appear to matter what directory it is installed in so for now i left Program Files (x86); if anyone has an issue let me know.

Either way I fixed the map install nsi file. Updated version here. Rather than trying to experiment and find the right place in the registry it is now coded in correctly.

Thus far I've updated the Arizona Topo install but I'll begin chugging through all my maps in the coming days to get the right version.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Sounds like a good reason to finally dump the antiquated registry system and switch to the new file-based .gmap format as discussed in this long thread :) https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=2383.0

-Oz-

Yea I debated that since I have the installer script already created. My problem is I feel that whole thing is "antiquated" since it does require you to load the maps to the C: drive which is not a great plan if you do a small(er) SSD for C: and store data in another location.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

AdamsR

I'm new to GPSFileDepot and Garmin GPS.  Following the thread above related to Windows 10, I think I'm having a similar problem with Mac OS (El Capitan).  Map Installer can not see the map file.  I see it in BaseCamp, but I don't know how to get Map Installer to read the file so I can transfer it onto my GPSMAP 64s unit.  Any ideas?

Boyd

I have both Macs and Windows computers. The issue being discussed here has NOTHING to do with any problems you're experiencing on the Mac... trust me on that one. :)

If you can see the map in Basecamp, then it is properly installed on your computer. Go to your applications folder and double-click on Garmin MapInstall. The first screen asks you to select the device for installation. If you GPS doesn't appear there, then you are out of luck and will not be able to continue.

Assuming that you are able to continue, the next screen should show a small map. There should be a dropdown menu in the upper left corner. If you pull that menu down, you can pick any map that is installed in Basecamp. If you have only installed one map, then that will be the only item on the dropdown menu.

Can you get this far? If not then I'd say there might be a problem with your installation of Garmin's software. We have seen other examples where users fixed problems by downloading and re-installing Basecamp/Mapinstall/Mapmanager.

But if you got that far, then use the slider on the left to zoom out and view the whole map. Now drag a box around the area of the map that you want to send to the GPS. You cannot send the map until you do this.

Now I am still on an older version of MacOsX but that is how it should work.