GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Please help a new old guy with waypoints Etrex Vista HCx

Started by wchancey, February 24, 2010, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchancey

I am trying to figure out how to mark a waypoint and get back to it , for example where I might have parked my car while going hiking.

Everything that I have read or seen, says to select the find button, then select the saved waypoint, then select goto.

From the pictures that I have seen or read a compass screen comes up and the pointer, points in the direction that you need to go.

When I try this, I get a map screen, and I can follow it but I think the compass pointer would work much better for me , what am I doing wrong ?

I just spent $25 on an instructional dvd for the etrex vista hcx , but in the section on waypoints , the guy on the dvd selects find, waypoints , goto , he gets a map screen like I do , but in the next second it switchs to a compass pointing in the direction he needs to go.

With no explanation on how it got to the compass.

Please help , I am an old guy and probably a bit slow , but I'm just not grasping this.

Indrid Cold

Press and hold the joystick button on the face of the unit to mark a waypoint. you can edit the name and icon to something you prefer if you wish. Try that and see if you need any more clarification.

wchancey

yes I know how to mark waypoints and edit the names , but what I would like to be able to do is this when I am ready to go back to the waypoint  I would like to have a compass screen leading me back to the waypoint.

when I try to go back to the waypoint now it just brings the map screen with the small little black triangle leading me back.

If I could get the compass needle turning and pointing the direction I need to go (instead of the map with the little black triangle ) I would be able to see it much better.

Indrid Cold

OK, then press the PAGE button until the Compass page is displayed. You can change the Page sequence to have the compass page displayed after the map page if so desired.

wchancey

Hate to appear dumb , but how do I do that, and then will it automatically point back to the way point tha I want to find ?

Jimbob

After you have selected your waypoint, select goto, if the map screen comes up press the page button until the compass arrow comes up. Don't forget to calibrate your compass if the unit has that capability.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: wchancey on February 25, 2010, 07:15:34 AM
Hate to appear dumb , but how do I do that, and then will it automatically point back to the way point tha I want to find ?
Press the top button on the right side to switch pages, then the Go To pointer on the Compass page will point to your waypoint. To change the page order, go to Main Menu, Setup, Page Sequence and make sure that Compass is listed right below Map to be able to switch with one page button press.

margo

Maybe it's the way your pages are. You can modify the pages and the sequence.

go to the main menu

select "setup"

select "page seq"

If you do not see "compass" you can select add page and add it.

You can see you page sequence here and edit it as you see fit. I have the tracks page on my sequence cause I use it a lot. I kind of modify my pages depending on what i am doing.