GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSmap 378

Started by cpanderson, February 02, 2010, 04:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpanderson

Can you upload these maps onto this unit? I am using mapsource but want to use something like Ibycus maps but do not want to mess up anything on the gps itself.

Boyd

The specs say you can upload maps, but it has no internal memory, just a data card. Is there a card in the slot? If so, does it already have a map installed? https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=401#specsTab

cpanderson

As far as maps go I have the topo mapsource on the card. I have a 512mb card, can I just install the other maps or do I need to get rid of it first, also will I lose my waypoints and tracks?

eaparks

If you use Mapsource and transfer any new maps to your memory card you will loose all maps presently on that memory card (they will be erased when the new maps are transferred).  You may want to get another memory card, as cheap as they are. 

If you have the topo maps that are presently on your memory card in Mapsource then you can resend your present maps plus your Ibycus maps at the same time to the memory card.

None of this will effect your waypoints or tracks.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: eaparks on February 02, 2010, 07:44:54 PM
You may want to get another memory card, as cheap as they are.

The memory cards for that unit aren't that cheap:
Quotehttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=401#Memory

eaparks

That is bad!  Garmin really is sticking it to everyone that has to use that proprietary data card.

Edit: http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapsourcedatacards.htm I couldn't believe these prices.

Indrid Cold

Too bad they only are available up to 512MB.

cpanderson

I know you can buy a gps for the price of the 512 card. On these maps can you just pick sections to install or do you have to instal the whole map?

Seldom

Most mapsets on this site come in sections. Why don't you download a mapset for the area you are interested in and install it in MapSource?  Then you could see how big the individual sections are.  You could always uninstall it if you decide you don't want it.

cpanderson

Can you download only sections of maps that you download from here? Like if you download the enitre southeast it is over 700mb can you go into that map like mapsource and pick different quadrants to download?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: cpanderson on February 03, 2010, 06:13:06 AM
I know you can buy a gps for the price of the 512 card. On these maps can you just pick sections to install or do you have to instal the whole map?

Yes, the map have selectable sections you can load, you don't have to load the whole thing.

Jimbob

cp, I'm not sure you and Cog are talking the same thing. When you download a map from this site you will download the entire map. When you have that map installed in Map source you can then pick and choose which parts of it you wish to place in your GPSr.

Seldom

The download can be painless if you have a fast connection.  DSL, however, will take hours for a large file.  If 700MB is too much try something smaller, to get a taste.

-Oz-

You could also use the planimetric maps for your region; they're smaller downloads and newer data...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!