GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GNIS to Globalmapper

Started by Boyd, January 30, 2010, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

I just "discovered" that Globalmapper can now directly open downloaded CSV GNIS .txt files. Is that a new feature in version 11, or did I just never notice it before? Either way, it sure makes things easier! You just go to the open file menu in Globalmapper and choose GNIS as the file type.  :)

Seldom

You've been able to do that since version 8.  Only problem is that the way GM reads it doesn't completely agree with MP_TYPE assignments.  So, in order to avoid lots of "unknown point type" warnings at the beginning of a cgpsmapper compile I import the GNIS file into Excel and use a vlookup table to assign the correct MP_TYPES.

Another problem with GNIS files is they change the format, column headers, column delineators, from time to time.  At least twice in the past three years.  IIRC the old spacer was a tab. Now it's a "|".

Boyd

Well obviously I just wasn't paying attention with the old version  ;)  The trick is that you have to choose the GNIS option when you open the files I think. I know I tried opening them with version 9 and couldn't get it to work.

I found that it did a pretty good job with the PA data I downloaded the other day. There were some unknown point types, but that isn't an issue for me. I convert everything to either a generic dot or a custom MP_TYPE anyway - I hate the ugly standard symbols.