News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Finding elevation data for lakes/submerged areas

Started by freecat, January 25, 2010, 05:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freecat

Hi everyone
I am working on a very high detailed county sized map and would like to add elevation data for the larger reservoirs in the county. The problems is the lakes were built around 1900 and I can't seem to find any data on them like I can the other lakes in the state that were built in the last 20 years or so. No topo maps, DEMs or lake maps of the area show this data either.  I am guessing that this data does not exist but thought maybe someone here might have a idea as to where to find it. The specific lakes I am looking for data on are Badin>Narrows>Tillery on the Yadkin/PeeDee river.
thanks
Freecat  =^_^=

maps4gps

If you have not already done so, check with that State's Natural Resources/GIS/Geology/Geography department(s).  County planning people might also have something.  USGS has images of older topo maps available on one of there websites.
These get to be long-shots, but you never know.

-Oz-

Try googling "state" gis clearinghouse or "county" gis clearinghouse those normally bring up pretty good results.

When you say elevation data for the lakes I assume you mean depths?  Googling for the lake name and bathymetric data is a good call then too.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

freecat

Thanks for the link Indrid The site seems to be down but I will keep trying it.
Freecat