GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hawaii Maps (Topo & Ibycus) Misaligned?

Started by wRadar, January 24, 2010, 06:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wRadar

First off, thanks a lot for all of this great, FREE map data!  What a great site!

I live on Oahu, Hawaii, and have downloaded and installed the Hawaii Topo maps and the Ibycus USA maps.  Both show all of the map data (roads, contours, everything) shifted approximately .36 miles south of where my GPS location fixes.  For instance, when sitting in my home, it gives me position X, but looking on the map (both in my GPS and in Base Camp), it plots me in a position approximately .36 miles due north of where I should be on the map.

I verified on Google Earth that the position on my GPS is accurate to what they show for where my house is.  It seems that the maps (Hawaii Topo and Ibycus USA) are off.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?  Does anyone have any recommended fixes?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

Have a great day,
-Radar

-Oz-

Its the next map I'm updating; so probably 2-3 weeks (due to a vacation)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

So I lied about 2-3 weeks; I was able to crank out the updates for that much faster than hawaii (helps to have nailed the process down).

Download the new version with corrected roads:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/42/
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

The road alignment is a vast improvement, I just checked some of my tracks and they were spot on. Good job.

wRadar

Awesome, that was a quick update!  Thanks a lot for fixing those problems.  It looks like my house is right where it should be now.  :)

Thanks, again, for all of the awesome - and FREE - work you do!  It's VERY appreciated!
-Radar

wRadar

Just when I thought all was working nicely...

When I run Garmin MapInstaller (on my Mac), and I have the Hawaii Topo map installed, it gives me an error when I start MapInstaller that says something about an error has been detected.  You can report the error to Garmin, or ignore.  Either way, it then goes to the program, and you work through it until you get to the large map selection screen.  At that point, another error appears, saying "There is a problem with Hawaii Topo installation.  Please re-install Hawaii Topo and start MapInstall again."

I also have the Ibycus map installed on my computer.  When I have the Hawaii Topo map installed, it always causes the MapInstaller to crash, regardless of which map I'm selecting in the program.  If I remove the Hawaii Topo map, MapInstaller works fine, and the other maps have no problems.  This makes me think the problem is somewhere in the Hawaii Topo file.

Any suggestions?  I've already re-downloaded and re-installed the Hawaii Topo map a few times, but to no avail.  When I open Garmin BaseCamp, I can see all of the maps I have installed - including Hawaii Topo - and there are no issues noted.

Thanks for any help you may have!
-Radar

Boyd

Possibly a FID conflict with another map on your system?

twkatadin

I also want to thank you for this great free product, I certainly appreciate the time and effort it took to create it and that you would share it with us all. I notice that while the road data all appears to be spot on, all other items in the topo map seem to be misaligned by a fair amount. I have both this and the garmin hawaii topo map, and switching between the two in mapsource most of the points of interest, trails, secondary roads, and mountain and water markers are off by at least .2 miles. I've done a lot of hikes on Maui and Oahu, and can see the garmin maps match my tracks pretty reliably while the map from here is always shifted. Is this a known issue, and is there a fix planned?

Thanks
Tim

jbensman

Could this be a projection issue?

All the state data I found was projected in NAD 83 UTM 4

I found some trail data for Hawaii and some POIs.  I am going to add it to My Trails in a couple of hours.  Let me know how it lines up with reality. 

jbensman

I just uploaded a version of My Trails with HI.  Everything on it appears to line up properly.  Most of the data came from the state's GIS site.  But there are some additional data sources.  The NPS GIS site is down so I was not able to see if they had anything I could use there.  Let me know if the stuff lines up properly. 

twkatadin

Thanks, I'll check out the maps tonight. I'll also see if I can find a few data points from the garmin topo (100k) maps which seem to be accurate and let you know for comparison.

twkatadin

jbensman, I looked at the My Trails map and the trails listed for Hawaii are perfectly accurate. Thanks very much for the map, it will come in handy. Unfortunately you don't have a topo or road map for Hawaii. The topo map posted by -Oz- is very nice with the topo lines and main roads, but mountain peaks, waterfalls, secondary and unpaved roads are all misplaced, some by .3 or .4 miles. The garmin topo 100k map has these with better accuracy, though it's not as detailed on the topo lines and is missing a small amount of these data that -Oz-'s map has. I was just wondering if this was on his radar to fix?

maps4gps

OZ will probably waite for the 2010 Census TIGER files (used mostly for the transportation) to be released in a Dec, 2010 through Feb, 2011 timeframe.  They are going to be released over a 10 week period to correspond with the release of the 2010 head and house counts.

-Oz-

maps4gps is right; I'm not going to try to push out a recompiled update until the new data is available.

The GNIS data from the census bureau is off; they messed up the projection.  Everything else is correct.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

took 'em a while to get the road data aligned correctly, even Garmin's 100K topo has the roads off :<