GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie having trouble loading topo maps

Started by mmollema, January 22, 2010, 09:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmollema

I am using the installer from the garmin site and everything works fine until i send it to the device then it tells me the device is not plugged in.  I turn it on before I start and it finds the device but won't let me load. I am using a mac

Jimbob

Not a MAC user so I can't be of much help. I would suggest you provide a little more detailed info . GPSr unit, when you say installer do you mean Map source? Using a card reader or USB connection to GPSr. all this will help you get an answer.

mmollema

I have the oregon 200 and I am trying to load it directly from the map installer to the unit via usb

Boyd

I don't think the Oregon 200 has any internal memory (or not enough to be useful), so you will need a micro SD card to load maps. Do you have one installed? If so, you could try using a USB card reader for the installation instead of the Oregon itself and see if that makes a difference.

mmollema

I am trying to download the michigan topo map from this site using the mac map installer the garmin support says it is because it is not there software but on the site it says it is for garmin?  sny other suggestions

Boyd

Garmin will not provide tech support for the maps from this site because they don't make them. As far as Garmin is concerned, we don't exist.  ;D  Nevertheless, the maps should work on almost any Garmin GPS.

As I suggested, remove the SD memory card from your unit, plug it into a USB card reader, and try to install it directly on the card. If that works, put the card in your GPS and you should be good to go.

mmollema

just copy the file directly to the sd card not using the map installer?  if that is right I will give that a shot

Boyd

That is not what I said! You would run the Map Install program with the card inserted into a USB reader connected to your computer. The software should recognize the card and allow you to install there.

See the mac instructions here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mac

mmollema