News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problems converting GNIS data

Started by Boyd, December 04, 2008, 05:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Hi - new user here - great site!  8)

Having some problems converting GNIS data for my state (NJ). I have downloaded the "pipe delimited" text file, but when I try using your converter here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/gnistogpx.php, it hangs for a long time, and then I get the following:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have also installed the gnis_process program, and it appears run properly, claiming to create files, but nothing appears in the selected output folder. Seems like the web version would do what I want, since I already have the file though.

-Oz-

I've posted a new version of gnis_process; the usgs changed the files on november 20th.  I've confirmed it now works for New Jersey

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/gnis_process.php

I'll look into the online version in a few moments.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

The online one appears to be working now.  Just don't give it too large of a file.

I'd highly recommend using GNIS Process (the download one that goes on your computer).
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Another GNIS.  This is the fourth one I have seen in the past 12 months.

-Oz-

They keep changing the website/file names. Hopefully that means they're updating the GNIS points.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Thanks a lot - will check it out this evening when I get home   :)

Boyd

I'm sorry - new to this, and use macs/linux/unix more often than windows. But it still isn't working. It runs without reporting errors and claims to create files, but they don't end up in the output folders I pick.

Interestingly, the default folder after installing the program seems to be somewhere on somebody else's machine - C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\. If I try to choose my own desktop folder the program says "Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set". If I pick other folders I don't get that error, but they are empty after the program runs.

Am I missing some component? I followed your tutorial for installing postGIS. Or is it putting its output files somewhere else? What would be the name of the file I should look for if that's the case?

Boyd

Afraid I'm really striking out here  :-\  Just tried the web version without luck. It seemed to hang forever with the full NJ state file, so I edited it down to just a few lines (see attached "test2.txt" file). The converter takes awhile to digest this, but finally gives me an output file. However, looks like the file is empty, and global mapper says it couldn't read any data from it. I have attached this too (282____170324.gpx)

Any ideas what's going on here?

-Oz-

Make sure you download the newest version of the program 1.0.6.  Also, the gnis server is currently down: http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm

Let me know if with the most recent version it still doesn't work.

And I don't know what the online issue is but its always been a little flakey thus why I made the computer one.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Well that is odd... I have version 1.0.0.5 which I downloaded just before posting this evening. I even tried clearing my cache to be sure I was getting the new version. I just tried again and got the new version now. However the server still seems to be down.... will try again later.

I think there was a banner on that site the other day saying it would be down for maintenance on December 6 actually (or at least I saw that message on *some* USGS site  :))

Thanks for your help anyway!

maps4gps

I downloaded the National file after yesterday mornings post.  Site is 'not found' this morning.
This file has two additional fields at the end for original date and modified date.  It also lacks any data for Alaska or Hawaii.

-Oz-

I still can't load the site to see what you're talking about. But if I remember the national one had less data than each individual state one.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

The site is back up.

I've attached New Jersey to this post for you as well.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd