GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapSource 6.15.9 a warning maybe?

Started by Seldom, January 22, 2010, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I just read over on map_authors that 6.15.9 locks cgpsmapper generated maps.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Boyd

This new version is (evidently) installed when you update your City Navigator maps through Garmin's nuMaps service. As is often the case, there can be language issues on the map authors group. Here's the original posting there:

QuoteIs there anyone using locked cgpsmapper maps?

With the new mapsource 6.15.9 it seems to lock all cgpsmaaper maps.
( came with the latest map downloads CN NT NA 2010.40 and CN NT EU 2010.30)

In a previous version of mapsource the maps were unlocked.

more people experience the same

guido

Jimbob

Guess some one will just have to try it out and see.

Boyd

I have asked for people to try here. There's one response so far, but I don't know that it tells us much: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?p=117300#117300

Boyd

Based on a recent post on the Yahoo group, it appears that the sky really isn't falling. Evidently there is no problem using unlocked cgpsmapper files such as the ones we've been making around here. The issue appears to be that Garmin is making changes to their locking scheme such that locked cgpsmapper files no longer work correctly. A user in the GPSReview thread at the link I posted above was able to download and use one of the topo's from here without problems (although he didn't actually install on his gps).

Seems to me that locked maps are a completely different issue than free maps. I can see why Garmin might want to control these, and why they might not be happy with competing commercial products that use a reverse-engineered compliler piggybacking on their own user interface (mapsource) and copy protection. And the recent post at map authors implies that the real reason may be their desire for a stronger locking scheme to prevent piracy of Garmin's own maps.

Seldom

Here's the quote from MapAuthors

QuoteRe: Garmin Licensing of 3rd-Party Developers

Mapsource is nesseary if you want to plan routes on a routable map.

It seems that locked cgpsmapper maps are blocked by the new mapsource.

Maps without lock still work well in mapsource.

Garmin has announced that they will bring a extra signature to the new maps and
their new gps-r.

This to prevent piracy.

guido

Boyd

Here's something else which might be a little telling... Garmin's list of developers:
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mpc/

They may also be trying to force everyone to sign up with them and obtain the newest locking technology. And at the same time, they might not want some cgpsmapper-based commercial products to compete with their own. Notice how there is only one US developer, and it is only for skiing maps. They have 500 map products, and 420 of them are for European locations.

Seldom

I wonder why you don't see any Maylaysia or Singapore developers on that page.  Malsingmaps advertises maps made using Garmin's compiler.

maps4gps

QuoteNotice how there is only one US developer, and it is only for skiing maps.
This is a special case as it does not compete with any of Garmin's products.
One developer told me that as soon as he mentioned he was interested in creating maps for the US, Garmin refused to have any further conversations with him. 

Boyd

Seldom

-Oz-

wow that could change things a lot, what are the other options: mapwel but it appears to overload on large amounts of data and mkgmap?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I don't think this will really affect most of the authors or users here at GPSFileDepot. It only affects locked maps, and of course you need to purchase the expensive version of cgpsmapper to even create these. So personally I see it as a non-issue at the present time.

AFAIK, Mapwel doesn't support map locking, although the author said he would consider it in the future (guess that's changed now). One simple solution for people who sell locked maps would be to just unlock them and re-think their pricing and packaging. Maybe they could sell more copies if they were cheaper. Or maybe they could include some other materials (like printed copies or free updates) to make them more appealing than pirated copies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that Garmin is certainly within their rights to change their copy protection scheme at their whim. People who have built businesses on the basis of reverse-engineered unauthorized software have been taking a risk. I don't know what assurances you get when you pay $2000 (or whatever) for the full version of cgpsmapper. Did Stan ever promise that it would continue to work? Will he refund your money?

-Oz-

I was more referring to stan's comments that he may never release a cgpsmapper 2.0 and isn't sure how much longer he will continue to support cgpsmapper (I'm sure it'll be for a least a couple more years).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Ah, I see. Well at least we can still continue using the current version, and he said that version 2.0 didn't add any new features. Perhaps he could do away with the free version and gain a little more income from shareware if he can no longer sell the expensive pro versions?

Anyone who is serious about mapmaking surely couldn't object too much to paying the $30 shareware fee for such a great program (I own two copies myself FWIW)....