News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Tiger Data vs OSM

Started by -Oz-, January 20, 2010, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

All,

Looking for opinions since I'm starting the update process for my maps.

Which data is better (in general) the latest Tiger data or the open street maps data.

I'm starting with Arizona and then moving to my other maps so which road data should I include?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

FYI - from wikipedia : 'in October 2007 OpenStreetMap completed the import of a US Census TIGER road dataset.'  All counties had not undergone realignment until the version released in Nov, 2008; over 1/3 of the counties needed to be realigned in the version released March, 2008.
Individuals may be modifing the OSM data for small/local areas; however, I would want to know for sure before expecting this to have been done for an entire (specific) State.

Seldom

Frankly, I don't trust any of them completely.

Bogus streets and missing streets here.

Bogus streets removed (by me) to show actual conditions.

OSM image under Tiger.
All images are from 2009 Tiger Edges.  Washington County, Utah

Boyd

Since the new GlobalMapper allows direct import of OSM (via WMS), it would be easy to overlay the TIGER vector data and compare...

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 20, 2010, 01:22:52 PM
Since the new GlobalMapper allows direct import of OSM (via WMS), it would be easy to overlay the TIGER vector data and compare...

Good point. Last image above shows Tiger and OSM imagery.  GM's vector import of OSM data was pretty raw last time I looked, but it would be a job for Mike to try to keep up with the continually changing tags.

maps4gps

QuoteFrankly, I don't trust any of them completely.

I agree.  I still see these types of issues in my local area.
However, after the county had been realigned: a housing addition with the layout of the streets shown properly but the entire addition in the wrong place by near 1000 ft was corrected; the switchbacks on a local hill/mtn were shown as the correct 'W' rather than a 'V'; and a highway climbing a linear ridge, turning 180 degrees, and decending the other side was at the correct location rather than 1/4 mile further along the ridge.  I have wondered how the GPSr would have reacted on those last two if it was in 'follow road' mode. 

-Oz-

That is good to know; I'll do some spot comparing but likely just use the Census data.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!