GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin announces "BirdsEye" aerial imagery subscription

Started by Boyd, January 15, 2010, 07:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

I saw that too. I have the load to GPS box un-checked when I start the download, but BaseCamp still says that I have 690MB available, which is the free space in internal memory. Don't know whether that affects anything or not.

The 30MB download I started over two hours ago seems to have just quit at 50%, I don't see any movement from the progress bar. I suppose it could be related to the fact that I haven't subscribed yet. Or maybe just overloaded servers. But downloading small areas (less than 1MB) has been pretty speedy.

[edit] Now I see that it says "BirdsEye Imagery - Trial" when I click, so it is probably limiting what I can do since I'm not a subscriber.

[edit again] Actually it says "BirdsEye Imagery - Trail" since I was pointing to a trail on the vector map. Duh...  :-[

Jimbob

Garmin says that data can be loaded  to SD cards.
trial-trail- Thats the kind of thing I would do. DUH

Boyd

I was finally able to download a large area and it looks good. BirdsEye reports 38 square miles, 5769 images and a total size of 123.6 MB. I tried to send it to a memory card inserted in the Oregon and nothing happened. Then I tried sending to internal memory, BirdsEye checked and reported that I don't have a subscription (true) but would send a demo image of 1 square mile. This took a few minutes.

It appeared to send instantly and the properties indicated the file was there, but when I tried to quit the program it said it was still sending. A little later it let me quit, and when I started the Oregon I got an error message "Invalid BirdsEye File". The image was there however, and it looks fine (not very exciting, since the small area it chose was just trees though  :)). So I guess the error message was the result of not having a subscription? The BirsdEye file has a .JNX extension.

So it's still a little rough around the edges, but it's not too bad for starters.  :)

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: babj615 on September 14, 2010, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: Indrid Cold on August 22, 2010, 12:01:59 AM
This looks interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6e5irD4BCI

What is it that you find so interesting about that?
A user script for automatically downloading image data doesn't look interesting to you???