GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Memory card

Started by fallenmikethebike, January 13, 2010, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallenmikethebike

:)Hello there, I posted a problem a short while ago concerning a Download for Malta, to load on my recently acquired Nuvi 550.
A list of maps was posted up, but I was unable to make any of those load.
More reading of post on here threw up,
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php,
From where i was able to load a suitable Map, in part.
The unit can see, and use the map for the Main Island, but when zooming in on the roads of the adjacent Island [Gozo], only appears for a split second, then disappears.
The information is there, it's just shy, and doesn't want to be revealed.
Secondly, from the same source, I downloaded a couple of tiles for the S/ East of England, in this case, the Information is on the Card [ 4GIG, Micro SD], but, I am unable to access it.
Its shown on the internal memory, and in the GPX folder.
I suspect my problem may be that I reached that time in life where I can afford more toys than I have the brains to operate :D.
In as layman terms as possible, how and when is the SD card held information accessed, or does it just run in conjunction with the units internal memory, as certainly, part of the Malta Routable map does.
Sincere Thanks in advance of any light you can throw on this, [for me] problem.
PS, This is truly a fantastic site, if I can only now learn the Language :-[.
Regards Mike

Seldom

MapsetToolKit doesn't like maps compiled with mkgmap, which is how all the garmin.na1400.info/routable are compiled.  

If you have a bunch of IMG files from them you can either send them to your gpsr in a gmapsupp made with Sendmap 2.0, or you can download and install a copy of mkgmap (command line compiler, just like cgpsmapper) and spend some time on the mkgmap wiki to figure out how to generate TDB and basemap.IMG files to put into MapSource/Basecamp.  To do that you'll also need to tweak your PC's registry or write an installer.  See the "Creating Setup Files" section on this page:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/

Then they should load from MapSource or Basecamp like any other maps.

Oz -- It might be worth starting a sticky topic about garmin.na1400.info/routable maps. It looks like you'll be getting more questions about why MapSetToolKit doesn't work with them.

fallenmikethebike

:)So, after much twiddling, and expletives,things are a little clearer.
The "F" driver, [units memory] will only hold the  NT2010, BASE MAP, and 1 other map, and trying to fool it by changing any extra maps title is a non runner as well, as, it won't recognise it at all then.
I can store additional maps on the "g" DRIVE [ S.D. CARD], BUT  these must again be designated a different suffix, to allow non substitution storage.
So, I will need to hook the unit up to the pooter, reassign the maps original title, before loading onto the internal{F}drive memory.
Which kind of brings me full circle to the second part of my original post, is the SD card slot,of much use, and can it be accessed, without the aid of the computer.
I would second guess that there is a fix out there, but it's probably way in advance of my limited keyboard juggling skills, or understanding.
i have heard a rumour that our British Ordnance Survey [O.S.] is going to be releaed on a limited basis this year, so that may prove interesting.
Thanks for your time though.
Mike

Seldom

I have only limited experience with Nuvi's.  Mine's a, now out of production, 660.  I've used the memory card to store transparent topo maps, without roads, which I use to overlay the CityNav maps that come installed on the unit.  That way I have a high quality routable driving map with topo and place names.  (Nice to know you're driving past Factory Butte, east of Capitol Reef.)

I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can simply rename an IMG file to a gmapsupp.IMG, because the gmapsupp.IMG may contain multiple IMG files and it has additional data stitched into it regarding the relationships between the separate IMGs.  If you want to combine them and send them to your unit or to a card, the easy way is to use Sendmap 2.0.  Getting them into MapSource is a bigger deal, and to do that you'll need separate installers for the stuff you got from garmin.na1400.info from anything you can find on this site. 

Sendmap 2.0 is easy to use, I'd try it before giving up entirely.

Personally, I never put any homemade maps anywhere but on the removable card.

Boyd

Quote from: fallenmikethebike on January 16, 2010, 06:52:40 AM
i have heard a rumour that our British Ordnance Survey [O.S.] is going to be releaed on a limited basis this year, so that may prove interesting.

Garmin released OS maps with their GB Discoverer series, maybe 2 years ago. Or maybe you mean that they don't cover your area? See: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/lang/en/gbdiscoverer

They are compatible with the Nuvi 5x0 series.

alpine

Mike: You may also want to consider removing unneeded "stuff" from the hard drive of the Nuvi to gain more room for maps.

Additional languages (voices) other language help files. Stuff like that. You may want to consider moving them to a folder on the 'puter, in case you want them back.

But make sure you keep the "english" stuff.

fallenmikethebike

Thanks Guys
Seldom Sn, I am hopefully having a get together with a Riding mate who is more, Tech Savy, than I could ever hope to be.
I had seen the selective release of some National parks, and other areas, but the ,eye watering, £130, kind of put me off, but rumours still persist of it being made accessible, F.O.C.
I don't think my requirements are pushing the envelope of space needed at the moment, but that's a sound idea to,store, of the unit, extraneous carp ;), not wanted, and I should have twigged that dodge myself, as that's what I do with the Nokia 6303, to allow more room for important stuff, like music downloads ;D.
Regards Mike

fallenmikethebike

::)OK, so, no one has egg for tea tonight as it's all on my face.
With the help of my youngest son, it soon became apparent that I had failed to put a file name on the Micro SD card within the unit, having rectified this embarrassingly simple error, I was able to download the whole of the UK, in Routable form, a suitable map that though not quite as comprehensive as the OS. Maps, is good enough to plot the Legal Byways we are allowed to use.
This was taken from the site highlighted on this forum.
http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps.
The instructions seem fairly straight forward, and for those of a nervous disposition, a preloaded card can be provided, for a small fee, which seemed a very useful service to me.
I don,t think I will slinging out the paper maps just yet, but with some time and practise, who knows.
Once again to all those who gave some advice and thinking time to my problem.
Mike

Seldom

Glad to hear you found a convenient source of superior wisdom.

However, could you please clarify something for those of us on the western shore of the Atlantic Ocean?  "Twigged that dodge" is a serious curiousity to me.  Over here "twig" is a noun, referring to a small branch of a tree. 

I assume "extraneous carp" means you have something fishy you need to remove, or perhaps there was a vowel consonant transposition.

fallenmikethebike

Quote from: seldom_sn on January 17, 2010, 01:15:06 PM
Glad to hear you found a convenient source of superior wisdom.

However, could you please clarify something for those of us on the western shore of the Atlantic Ocean?  "Twigged that dodge" is a serious curiousity to me.  Over here "twig" is a noun, referring to a small branch of a tree. 

I assume "extraneous carp" means you have something fishy you need to remove, or perhaps there was a vowel consonant transposition.
Ah, apologies,, yes, to Twig, is to " understand " , a "dodge " is also a trick, and as you suspected, the anagram of Carp, is,  :D, all which means I can now leave the Polish, Swahili, and other unwanteds in place.
Regards 
Mike