GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 60CX 2 GB Card

Started by Montwalleye, January 09, 2010, 05:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montwalleye

I transferred a mapset from Mapsource to my Garmin 60CX. The mapsource mapset said it was 499.1 Mb and the card now says it contains 293.08 Mb (from the Card Info option). Does some of the data go on the main GPS or is there a possibility I did something wrong in transferring. The mapset was a composition of 4 maps downloaded from gpsfiledepot, all Montana maps including two highway maps (overlays) and two topo maps. I am new to this process and could be making all kinds of errors.

Seldom

Just to be sure it's not a case of cockpit error, can you see all the maps when you insert the card in your 60CX?

Montwalleye

I can see all the maps on the list of maps page but I haven't taken the GPS away from my home yet to see if the Topo maps contour lines show up. I can see the streets and avenues where I live when I start it in front of my house. I'm not sure how to get all the maps to show the way I read it right now a Map called "tiger 155" is checked and maybe the only one showing? I highlighted the "show all" option but it doesn't seem to make any difference, as i said I am new to this.

In an effort to see if I had "cockpit error" I re-transfered the mapset (4 maps) to a 1Gb SD card (that came with the GPS) using a USB holder in a USB port (not through the GPS this time). Using the "My Computer" and checking "properties" it says the card has 293 Mb "used" and 648 "Free". This leads me to believe for some reason all the map data isn't transferring no matter which way I do it.

Boyd

The maps have a stacking order, sometimes called "draw priority" such that a map with a higher priority covers up and hides one with a lower priority. It's like layers in Photoshop. If the mapmaker has chosen a transparent background then you can see through to the next lowest enabled map, but this assumes that the other map has a lower draw priority. Otherwise, the transparent map will be covered by the opaque one.

To answer your earlier question, the maps on the 60csx are all stored on the micro SD card. Waypoints, tracks and routes are stored in internal memory by mapsource where you can't directly access them in USB disk mode.

Montwalleye

Okay, thank you for that information. Before I loaded any maps on micro sd cards I could see some of the highways near my home on the GPS Map and I assumed it was the basemap that was showing those roads ( I assumed the 1Gb card that came with the unit was blank). I modified the 1st reply I made to the first response I got on my post and stated that I transfered the mapset again to a smaller card to see if that made any difference.

Seldom

Quote from: Montwalleye on January 10, 2010, 12:42:20 PM
I can see all the maps on the list of maps page but I haven't taken the GPS away from my home yet to see if the Topo maps contour lines show up.

To see if they are all on the card I'd turn only one of them on at a time.  Then pan your pointer to the areas of interest.  You should then be able to see if there's a map where you expect it.

Panning shouldn't be a problem. When I want to check out the appearance of the maps I've made, I'll pan from the east coast to California.

GeoJoel

Be sure to "Turn Declutter off" and trun off all map sets except the one you want to review. Then I zoomed out to 200 mi. I can see the map extent of every map tile loaded in my 60Csx.
By the way this is with the map detail set to "Normal", not sure if that makes a differance at 200 mi.

Montwalleye

I have looked all over the menus but can't seem to find the Declutter option I also hate to admit it but I can't figure out how to just get one map to show. I can get none to show but seem to get lost after that. I'm not sure what happens when you check or uncheck a map on the map page either. I do know how to get out to the 200 mile view though.

Seldom

If you uncheck a map on your 60CSX it won't show.  You should have gotten to the check box by:
Menu|Setup Map|right or left rocker to the little box with the "i" in it.  If you hit Menu again from this configuration it will give you another set of check boxes and if you uncheck them they will turn off entire map products.  It sounds like you've maybe hit the Menu button one more time than you should have to turn off a map.

Montwalleye

On my 60cx when I follow your instructions I don't get a series of check boxes I get options that start with "restore Defaults" and has options like "show all" "show none", Hide/show my maps that I installed from GPSFileDepot. When I tell it to show one of the maps it takes me back to the map screen and then the map is unchecked on that page. I assume that means it won't show that map anymore until I go back and click on "show" or maybe I have it backwards?  It is confusing to a new user like me. I took the GPS fishing yesterday and came home and looked in detail at the maps on the Mapsource program and they seemed to be what I saw on the trip on the GPS. I also found the "Declutter" option on the GPS but I'm not sure what it does. It does say "declutter" in the lower left corner of the map page when I pick that option.

maps4gps

Correct; the terminalogy is somewhat confusing.
Hide means the mapset is currently displayed and checking the box will hide it
Show means the mapset is currently hidden and checking the box will display it

eaparks

The screen you are seeing that has the Hide/Show my maps is the sceen page where most users turn on or off their individual maps (allowing you to turn on or off the entire mapset at once) unlike where the check boxes are in the previous screen where you check individual map tiles to turn them on or off and this can be a number up to 2,025 if you max. out the number of map tiles you can load.  Think of the Hide or Show xxx map as a question.  By entering "Hide US Topo"? (and entering = Yes) will disable/not show this map and the Map Menu page will then say "Show US Topo" when you have this map disabled.

You can only change the "Hide" or" Show" setting for 1 map at a time, then it takes you back to the previous screen and you must repeat the Hide or Show for the next map you want to Hide or Show.

There is really no reason ever to show all maps because of the Garmin map hierarchy, all Garmin maps will not display at the same time anyway.  Plus in some cases it can increase the map screen redraw time when you have several maps being displayed that you don't need at that time.

Seldom

It looks like he's one screen too far down.  

I don't have a 60CSX with me but IIRC, the sequence should be:
|Turn on the 60Cx
|Page to Map Screen
|Press Menu Button
|Rocker down to "Set Up Map"
|Hit Enter
|Rocker Right or left to "i" box
|Hit Enter.  

Then you should see the check boxes.  Rocker up and down to select and hit Enter to check or uncheck.

MontWallEye, if you hit Menu again, you get the option to show or hide entire products.

Montwalleye

:) I have followed your step by step instuctions and see the check boxes, you have to hit the down arrow to get the maps to show as checked (one at a time) but I figured that part out. In the meantime I noticed that one of the maps (Mt Landowner topo) had been updated so I decided to load the updated version and create a new mapset on mapsource. I also found a new map (mt trails) so I made a new mapset (6 maps) and loaded it onto the GPS (2 GB card). This mapset was 300 maps and 511.3 Mb and when the transfer was complete I checked the card on the GPS and there are 511.3 Mb's, so apparently all the data transfered this time. I looked at another forum to see about limits on the number of maps that can be transferred and that post said 2025 (or so) segments was the limit, I assume a segment equals a map (for future reference)?? I will now assume all my maps are on the GPS and not worry about the original post I made. Thanks to all!

-Oz-

A segment does not equal a map.  Each map is made up of a few to a few thousand segments.  Each area that turns pink in mapsource is a segment.  Each segment is also invididually listed in the panel on the left side.

A good example of this limit is that Garmin's 100k Topo will hit the 2025 segment limit before you fill up an entire 4gb card.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!