News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hello to everyone and a windows7 mapsource tip

Started by freecat, January 08, 2010, 06:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freecat

Hi everyone
Thanks for making this the most helpful gps site online.  :) I went from knowing absolutely nothing about gps and mapping to creating my own maps in just a few evenings thanks to the tutorials and info on this site.

I noticed that a few folks here are having trouble with mapsource on win7. After playing around with several different releases I found that version 6.13.7 is the most stable on my system and the newest release has the most problems, I could not maps to load correctly if at all in it. BTW I am running win7 64 bit.
I hope this helps someone out and am looking forward to the day my mapping skills are good enough to post a few maps to this site.
=^-^= Freecat =^-^=

maps4gps

-Oz-

that is good to know, i'm moving two computers to windows 7
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Basecamp has been reasonably well behaved in Win7.  MapSource 6.15.7 seems to have cacheing problems with its tiles.

-Oz-

freecat, I can't find the old downloads of MapSource; can you help me out with a link?

I tried running 6.15.7 and it definitely kept crashing.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Try
http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/

I haven't downloaded from there in a while, but it looks like you can find what you are looking for.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

My CNNANT came with MapSource 6.15.7 and it's the only MapSource version installed on my Win7 machine.  Has anybody tried to downgrade under these conditions?  I'd hate to lose my registration.

freecat

Sorry for not replying sooner work has been keeping me tied up. My copy of mapsource 6.13.7 came with a gps i bought over Christmas so I am not sure of another DLD location other than the one posted by Seldom_sn. 
One thing that you can try to improve mapspace performance is to increase your swap space (virtual memory) size. I set most of the PCs i build to 2048,2048 or higher.
heres how
control panel>system>advance system settings>advance tab>performance settings -button>performance options advance-tab>click the change button>>>set swap space to 0,0>>click all ok/ apply buttons and RESTART (required to prevent a split swap space on the hard drive)
          go back to above location>> set swap to 2048,2048 or higher>>>>click all ok/ apply buttons and RESTART
NOTE:
if windows is set to manage swap space automatically it may be higher than these settings already.

This has helped several other map type programs on a friends PC and greatly improves performance when running memory intensive apps.

Freecat