GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

Started by downsj4, January 05, 2010, 07:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downsj4

I am new to the whole GPS world- please forgive me for asking simplistic questions.  I was excited to find this site and hope I can use these maps.  My questions are:
1. will using these maps will void the warranty on my unit?
2. are any of the maps routable?

I have downloaded IbycusUSA2 and the California and Nevada TOPO.  I am very impressed by the quality of these maps.  They are ready to go to my unit, I just do not want to cause any problems.

Thanks for any replies.

maps4gps

Quote1. will using these maps will void the warranty on my unit?
Most accurately answered by Garmin's legal department.  I did not see anything in the warrenty information for my GPSrs that said it would.  I have not seen any posts that this has ever happened.  Over the past few years many people have created their own maps for Garmin GPSrs and made them available to others.

Quote2. are any of the maps routable?
Few if any on this site are. 
Many Garmin products are routable (City Navigator would be the best).

Boyd

Funny that you mention this. Most of the maps on this site were created using the cgpsmapper compiler. The author states the following in the README file provided with the program (he is not a native English speaker :))

QuotePlease keep in mind - I have never seen any official specification for Garmin
maps - most of the work base on reverse engineering - therefore I cannot give ANY guarantee,
maps created with this tool will work at all - even more - I cannot give you
any guarantee, your GPS becomes operational after uploading maps created with
this program.

Remember - you can loose your warranty using custom maps.

( During last 10 years of my work, none of the GPS I use to make tests did not
broke - so hopeful - nothing bad will happen with your one - but don't blame
me if I am wrong - you were bewared )

Frankly, I think this all falls into the category of "CYA".... but remember, "you were bewared"  ;)

Seriously, I don't think you will have any problems which can't be resolved through the forums here. But Garmin is not going to give you any help if you contact them about a problem related to the maps. They are supported by their authors and other members of this online community.

downsj4

Thank you both.  The disclaimer Boyd referenced is the one that had me concerned.  I could not find information about that on the Garmin site, as maps4gps cited.

This is an exciting new field for me.