News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

maps4gps planimetric

Started by Jimbob, January 02, 2010, 07:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

@ mps4gps
Have your us planimetric sw edition and it's a great piece of work. Looked at it in mapsource but have yet to load it in the GPSr. Have turned up one anomoly, the road/highway symbol #'s keep showing in clusters and in series on a given road. At .5 mi. zoom the hiway # (35 in nm) in my area is displayed over 25 times. As I scan the map I see this all over with the symbols half on top of each other in some cases. Question? Is there a way you (or I) can limit the number of times this is shown. Like I said, I have not yet put this in the GPSr but would think all these symbols will present a cluttered look. All that said, it's a really neat map. Thanks

maps4gps

The road/street and hydro data is from Census.  They divide each feature by any and all other features which interset it.  Besides the obvious, they also have numerous 'invisible boundary' feature types which they use for internal and other purposes.  Each segments may receive a name.

QuoteIs there a way you (or I) can limit the number of times this is shown.
Sure.  Many 10's to 100's of hours of editing.

Garmin's display technique on their GPSr's will eliminate most of this.  Still sometimes a bit bussy for my tastes.  There is also a 'declutter' option and 'street label' option on most GPSr units.

Many things look different in MapSource vs. the GPSr (even from one model to another).
Try it on your GPSr.

Boyd

It's true that text display is often very different between different models and mapsource, and even with custom types there's a lot that we can't control. And you're right in that it can take many hours of trial and error as a mapmaker to get the desired results. But in general, I've been pleasantly surprised with the newer versions of mapsource. For example: