GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource Error Message

Started by RodNH, December 30, 2009, 10:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RodNH

New user here. I am trying to load the New Hampshire Topo mapset that I downloaded from this site onto an SD card for use in a Garmin 60csx. I am using Mapsource version 6.15.7. There are 40 some segments (tiles) in the mapset that total about 48MB in size. The SD card I am trying to install to is a new, blank 2GB SanDisk micro sd card in a SanDisk USB adapter. When I try to include all the map segments in the set, I get the following popup error message, which doesn't make any sense:

I am able to load six map segments successfully (about 7MB) but not eight or more. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Rod

maps4gps

RodNH

I didn't originally since Windows Explorer indicated it was already formatted as FAT with 1.83GB available. I have since done a quick format as FAT but the problem remains the same. I could try formatting as FAT32 but I am not sure that is compatible with the 60csx. BTW, your NH Topo map set is excellent. Thanks for that. All I have to do is get it on an SD card so I can use it on my GPSr. I suppose I could only do a few segments that I am likely to use at any one time but I think I should be able to load the entire set.

Jimbob

Just to help by way of elimination you might try loading the mapset in to the GPSr with the sd card in the GPSr. Another alternative would be a different program (maybe mapupload) to get the map into the sd card while the card itself is not in the GPSr. My 60CSx with 2GB card has presented no problems. Good luck.

Seldom

If Jimbob's suggestion works, the problem might be a high density card in a low density card reader.  Did you get the card reader at the same time you bought the card?

RodNH

@Jimbob

I tried installing the mapset with the card in the GPSr via a USB connection. Still had the same problem. I also tried using another card (the 1 GB one that came with 60CSX). Still had the problem. I downloaded the free version of mapupload and tried that. It didn't appear to be able to load anything direct to the SD card so I installed the card and tried uploading all the segments with a USB connection to the GPSr. That seemed to work as the files transferred but the GPSr didn't recognize any mapset, saying "no map" on the map display page.

I was able to transfer one map segment to the card using Mapsource and the GPSr recognized it OK so I am in business if all I want is a single map tile. I really would like to have the whole set available right on the GPSr though. Don't know what to try next. I did install Mapsource before I got the 60CSX, using the method on this website.

@seldom_sn

I'm using a SanDisk SDHC reader that I already had before purchasing the micro sd card. The SD adapter that I am using came with the micro sd card.

Seldom

If you've got the software 3.7 or later, high density chips up to 4GB are supported by your 60CSX.

I've seen this problem before.  I think I may have even had it myself, but I can't remember a way to query for it, or what actually caused it.

RodNH

Finally success! I tried another mapset called "Northeast Topo United States Part 1 of 3" downloaded from this site and transferred the required map segments that covered all of New Hampshire directly to my micro sd card using Mapsource. That works in my 60csx. I don't know why but I could not load the needed segments using the "New Hampshire Topo" mapset. The NE Topo US mapset has 20 ft contours also, like I wanted. Now I can go about learning how to actually use my new GPSr.

Thanks to all for your suggestions on this problem.

maps4gps

Now that is real hard to understand; if you can do one mapset, you should be able to do any.
Many in the past on the groundspeak forms have mentioned that the HC cards would not work with the Garmin units; however, I believe there were some posts a few months ago saying that Garmin corrected the issue.

Good that you have what you wanted.

RodNH

@maps4gps

PS: I think I have found my problem with the NH Topo mapset. I had forgotten that I had previously edited two of the map segments using mapedit. One of those segments installed OK but the other one would not install at all, even when it was the only segment selected. I decided to uninstall the NH Topo mapset to eliminate the two edited segments and reinstall from scratch. Bingo. It then worked like a charm and I have the complete NH Topo mapset now installed on my 60CSX. I guess the moral of this story is that editing map segments may prevent installation on a GPSr. I am not sure what editing might be permissible and what might not. I do know that my editing on the one segment that installed OK was limited to editing existing text and on the segment that would not install at all, I had added completely new text. In any event, I'm pleased that I can use your NH Topo mapset because I think it is a little more accurate with the contours than the NE US Topo mapset. At least that is my impression based on a specific area that I am intimately familiar with.

maps4gps

Thanks for the info.  I do not recall anyone doing that before - perhaps because it does not seem to work.

Good observation on the contours.  Most of us use USGS NED/DEM data with 10m spacing; the author of NE Topo mentioned he created his contours from data with 30m spacing.

Any impressions on the hydro?  Because of numerious issues in various parts of the country with the 24k level hydro from USGS, I used Census hydro which appears to be between 100k and 24k quality with many areas (counties) at 24k.

Jimbob

Been there , done that kind of thing. Glad the problem is resolved.

RodNH

@maps4gps

I don't know about rivers and streams but on at least a couple of specific instances, bodies of water leave something to be desired. Here are two examples that I noticed in areas that interest me:

The first is in Franconia Notch, NH

The body of water labeled Profile Lake is correct but the unlabeled body of water above it not reconcilable with the contours. I believe the contours are correct and that the size and location of the body of water is not.

The second is in the Pemigewasset Wilderness, NH, a few miles to the east of Franconia Notch

The body of water shown is not reconcilable with the contours. Again, I believe the contours are correct and the body of water is not. In fact, I don't think there is any body of water at all in that immediate vicinity.

While the above two instances are somewhat amusing from a technical standpoint, they are of no particular importance to me. My use of the NH Topo mapset is for hiking, particularly off-trail, bushwhacking and contours are more important to me than hydrology. And I love the 20ft contours in the NH Topo mapset.

maps4gps

Census hydro is more general, however, something that erronous has not been pointed out before.

maps4gps

Rod,

I have answers or at least reasons.  In both cases you are correct about the contour lines being correct.  The 2009 Census files also have both features in these locations and both coded as lake.

The first situation is more common, the second somewhat unusual, however I have seen it before.

Your pics also illustrate a few other issues we encounter in map creation (two are also related to contours, one to Mount Garfield, and one to Profile Lake/Lk).

Others may also comment.