GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin dakota 10 help

Started by djs467, December 28, 2009, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djs467

I recently purchased a Garmin Dakota 10 with the 100k topo bundle. My question is. When I install these topography maps to my device and zoom in on a location, the contours do not show up and I can't for the life of me figure out how to add contours like in the pictures on the box. The topo maps are enabled and it is really puzzling me.If anybody can help me with this problem I would appreciate it.

maps4gps

Are you seeing the contours lines in MapSource or the software which is transfering the quads to the DK?
How far have you zoom in; you should not have to go to 800'; but did you zoom that far?

djs467

I am seeing the contours in Mapsource, but not on my device. I am zooming in well beyond 800m.

maps4gps

Not sure what is going on as I have neither a DK or TOPO100 (or is it topo us 2008).  The picture on my OR300 box does not show any contour lines at all, only hypsometric shading.  The interactive map product on their website shows both contour lines and shading.

You might call Garmin tech support; let us know what they say in case someone else also has this issue.

I see 3 pictures on the side of the box.  Looks like the one on the far right may be from Garmin's 24k topo series.  You still should be seeing contour lines on your GPSr with the 100k mapset.

BTW - The State topo maps on this site will have '24k quality' contour lines; but not the shaded relief nor auto routing found on some Garmin products.

djs467

I have just purchased a Garmin Dakota 10 with the 100k topo software. When I view the topo 100k in Map source there are roads, railroads. and 25ft contours. My problem is that when I upload the maps to my GPS device, only shaded topography shows up. No roads or contours are visible. I have gone through every setting on the device with no luck. I cannot determine why not all of the information is being transferred to my device. If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. All I want is contoured topography and roads on my device and I can't figure out how to do this. I have tried downloading maps from this website and contours and roads still do not show up.

Boyd

Something is very strange. Are you SURE that you have placed all the settings on "auto" in the advanced map setup screen? You might connect your GPS to your computer and run webupdater to make sure that your firmware is current.

Otherwise, take maps4gps suggestion and call Garmin tech support.

maps4gps

Sounds like a setting in MapSource which is transferring the DEM data for hillside shading and not the verctor data.  I would have expected the opposite to the case.

djs467

Thank you!! I will try these suggestions

maps4gps

djs467

I figured out the problem. On the Garmin Dakota 10 the topography contours do not show on the device when the "user profile" is set to "recreational". Setting the "user profile" to "fitness", "automotive", "geocaching", or "marine" and the contours will show up. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess this is the way it was set up.

Boyd

That's interesting. But if you look closely and compare the profiles you should find something is set differently. It will probably be in the advanced map settings dialog (assuming that the Dakota is like the Oregon).

Profiles are just ways to memorize all the things which you have set in the different menus. In and of themselves, they don't do anything special. You can change the existing profiles or add new ones of your own.

maps4gps

V e r y  interesting.  My Oregon300 is on recreational profile and I have contour lines.

Like Boyd said, there is something changed somewhere.