GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin & State Plane

Started by kbellis, December 27, 2009, 09:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbellis

Just curious - have any Garmin users ever successfully coaxed their receivers into displaying their state plane coordinate system?

I've been playing around with Maine State Plane Coordinate Systems on my CO 400i and OR 550; e.g., NAD27 East Zone and NAD83 East Zone.

Issues encountered along the way:

Despite having user defined units set to feet, the field Location (selected) insists on displaying meters.

Despite having user defined Latitude of Origin set to their respective NAD27 and NAD83 values with their corresponding False Northings at 0, the field Location (selected) insists on displaying meters from the Equator. Trying to trick it by supplying a negative number (for example -4834972.8m) resulted in unsatisfactory results.

In short, it appears from my experiments thus far that the Garmin units mentioned are incapable of properly displaying MSPCS values after having gone through the procedure of Setup>Position Format>Position Format User Grid>User Grid>selecting the only projection for Transverse Mercator that's offered; i.e, UTM>and then filling in the various fields with their appropriate values. Trying to tweak the UTM offering into compliance was a bust.

However, abandoning SPCS's settings for UTM Zone 19's (False E 500,000m, False N 0m, Long of Origin 69 and Lat of Origin 0), the field Location (selected) looks most agreeable (in meters), even though user defined units were still set to feet.

kbellis

Yes! - Thank you   :) and thanks to Jerry W. too for supplying the very same link in working around Garmin's inability to properly display Transverse Mercator settings whose latitude of origin is somewhere else than the Equator.

Also thanks to Jerry for the tip in multiplying the zone's scale factor, false easting and the work-around false northing by 3.28083333333 in order to get the display in feet!