GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't see contour lines on map

Started by gregsc1, December 31, 2009, 07:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsc1

I just got an Oregon 300.  I downloaded Indiana Topo maps.  I ran the EXE and can see them in Mapsource.  I can zoom in and see all of the contour lines within Mapsource.  I uploaded them to my GPS and made sure that the maps were enabled but I can't see the contour lines or roads.  Looks like only grass and water.  Any help is appreciated.  Not sure if it matters but I am running Windows XP and have updated the Oregon to the latest software.  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Greg

maps4gps

gregsc1

Yes I zoomed in as far as I could still nothing.  I deleted this set of maps installed a different set and it is even worse.  I have nothing now.  I am sure it is something I am doing wrong.  I would really like to get these maps to work.  I think they look better in a lot cases when compared to the Garmin maps.  Is the Oregon capable of showing this much detail?  I am starting to think it is in the GPS not the way I am uploading the maps.

gregsc1

I figured out what was wrong with the previous map set where I said I had nothing.  The maps are there just no contour lines just like the previous map set.  I am a newbie so it is probably something simple. 

Jimbob

Clarification: What do you see after loading your mapset, and in your GPSr you should have the various maps selected with a check mark. This is the way my 60CSx is so i'm guessing you have something similar. I'm not familiar with your unit but would agree with you it's some setting within the GPSr.

gregsc1

I have a screen that I can enable and disable certain maps and with the new set of maps enabled I see all of the streams, rivers, lakes etc, but no other details.  When I disable the map set I only see the base map that came with the unit so I know it is there.  It just doesn't show all of the details that I see when looking at the map in mapsource.  I am really stumped on this one.  Geez, I usually don't have this much trouble with stuff like this. 

maps4gps

I got an OR300 from REI in Nov and the contour lines show up fine - actually easier to see than on my 76CSX.  Check your version number and Garmin website - Garmin has recently been making some changes to the 'dashboard' stuff and may have messed something else up.

gregsc1

I finally got it.  I am not sure what was wrong but I got on Garmins website and learned how to do a total unit reset.  After that I used mapsource to upload the topo maps again and it worked perfectly.  It is really a beautifully done map.  I was starting to regret my decision of not buying to the 400t but now I see it was the right decision.  I want to go hiking now but it is only 15 degree F right now...