GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Astro 220

Started by jkeene02, January 07, 2010, 07:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkeene02

I bought the Garmin Astro 220 for my hunting dogs, I was wondering if these maps were all I need. I live in KY and I downloaded the KY topo map. I don't need POI's and road directions I just need the maps. Is this going to be good enough for me and what might I not like about them. I can tell ya one think I like from the previews on the site is the detail is much better here.

BeagleRunner

I have recently got one also and I have the arkansas topo loaded. It is all you will need to track and recover your dogs. What is there not to like about this unit? it is awesome and will probably spoil you. The only thing I would suggest would be to get the extra antenna. I have the mag base for my truck. It will DOUBLE your tracking distance. I was tracking 4.5 miles last night in the sleet and snow. I never got over 2 miles with the shorty antenna. Good luck and happy hunting!

maps4gps

Quote from: jkeene02 on January 07, 2010, 07:14:08 PM
... I was wondering if these maps were all I need. ... Is this going to be good enough for me and what might I not like about them.

I can not say as I do not use them for that purpose, nor do I know what would be 'best' for that use.  Sounds like BeagleRunner could give you first hand info.

We try to make them as detailed as data available to the public allows.  In some cases there is somewhat different data available from different sources and different mapauthors will make a descision of which to use.  Also how much time is available to do 'extra' processing of the data and revise it as the source data is updated.  We have had a few users say it is too detailed for their use.  More detail also means a larger sized mapset.  It is all a trade-off.  Do keep the comments comming.