Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

No map data available - IbycusUSA

Started by bluferbl, December 16, 2009, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluferbl

Hello all!

Newbie here with a Garmin nuvi 1310.

I downloaded IbycusUSA20.exe and ibycususa_2.01_update.exe. I was able to see the USA map in Mapsource and using the tutorial here I was able to send the map to an SD card.

When I start my Garmin, I see ibycususa listed with a NOT FOR SALE message. Also, when I go into the settings section I can select the ibycususa map (the Garmin was supplied with Ireland and UK maps).

Unfortunately, having selected ibycususa as the map to use, when I try to enter an address and change the country from Ireland to United States, the only option starting with U is United Kingdom.

I'm travelling to California next week and I was really hoping to be able to use the Garmin over there.

Any ideas why it's not using the map...I'll be totally happy if it turns out I'm a spaz!

Cheers,

David

Boyd

Try zooming WAY out until you see North America. With the ibycus maps enabled, you should start to see things after you zoom way back in. Do you mean a Nuvi 1310? If so, before you do the steps listed above, first press Menu > Tools > Settings > System > GPS Simulator > On. This will turn off the GPS receiver.

Now make sure that ibycus is enabled and zoom way in on a US location as described above. You should see streets now. If you like, tap the Set Loc. button and that will make your Nuvi behave as though you actually are located at this place. You could also save some favorites for places of interest while you're at it, and that will make it easier next time.

However, realize that Ibycus maps are not capable of routing (can't provide directions for navigating) and they don't have address data so you can't search for things. You can only display the map and your position on the screen.

bluferbl

Fair play, that worked a treat...I can see why you're a Hero Member!

If I could ask another question...what options do I have if I want a map that can route? Is it gonna cost me money?

Thanks again,

David

Boyd

Happy to help! Cutting to the chase, you will probably want to purchase City Navigator North America unless you want to perform a "science experiment" with routing. See the discussion here: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,778.0.html

Unfortunately we aren't quite there yet with free routable maps and the commercial product will work much better all around. Plus it has the advantage of tech support from Garmin in case you have problems. If you purchase the version of DVD, then the maps will also be installed on your computer and you can use them for planning there as well.

bluferbl

Bummer...I'm a big fan of Open Source type stuff. Seems a shame to have to shell out almost the price of the satnav all over again, use the map for two weeks and then have to pay again for an update next time I go over. Darn!

Thanks for your input...much appreciated.

Boyd

Yes, I know it's frustrating. I don't know what kind of pricing you will find on the maps over there. But here in the US, you can probably buy a Nuvi 205 including maps for about $100 so that might end up costing about the same and you'd end up with an extra GPS in the bargain.

If you are only interested in a few cities, you can download Garmin's "CityXplorer" maps pretty cheaply ($10 each I think). On your unit they will even provide pedestrian routes using mass transit.

bluferbl

I downloaded a routable map from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php and I have it working on my satnav...only thing is I get the same error "No map data available" when I try to put in an address.

Is my underatanding of "routable" incorrect...I kinda thought it would mean that I could put in an address and be routed to it? Or have I the wrong end of the stick?

Good point about it being cheaper to buy another satnav...how nuts is that! :-)

bluferbl

I see...I guess I can do that then...I know the area that I'm visiting reasonably well so it could still be handy for finding my way home.

What exactly does routable mean then? That it can find the way between two points but you have to define the two points?

Seldom

Address data probably varies by region.  I've read discussions about address search capabilities in Europe.  The compiler does support searches for "geographic points" and POI, if they are on the map.  Geographic points should be easy to find, because they were uploaded months ago from GNIS. Restaurants and Gas Stations, however, probably need to be manually entered by users unless there's a public domain POI data base that OpenStreetMap can import from.

maps4gps

My US Planimetric mapsets may be of some help to you.  I included the address range for each city block or road segment where Census gave this information.  It is not searchable, nor routable, nor are there any contour lines.  Southwest covers south of 40 degrees latitude and Northwest covers north of 40 degrees latitude.  Download sizes are 245 and 242 Mb - with selfinstaller.

Boyd

Quote from: bluferbl on December 16, 2009, 02:23:48 PM
What exactly does routable mean then? That it can find the way between two points but you have to define the two points?

Yes, I think that's what it means. Here's some info on how it works, starting on page 42: http://www.cgpsmapper.com/download/GM8DocV2.pdf

bluferbl

Thanks for all the info...much appreciated!