GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Do I need City Navigator for my 76csx

Started by easygoing, December 25, 2009, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easygoing

I am somewhat new to GPS, but long long time orienteering, so topo and compass (adult leader BSA, always outdoor woods and water).  I do have a Garmin 12 XL, mostly for my fish finder and fishing.

But coveting a 76CSX for a long time, I got one today! Thanks family.

I am loaded with Macs, so I went downloaded MapInstaller and downloaded the NC topo, much thanks to maps4gps and GPSFileDepot. Works great on the 76csx, but not sure 100% working on the Mac, what is MapManger supposed to do? I get no gui to pop up, just the finder window.  I downloaded the Beta, I mean it has been a year since the first release...  Did I miss the docs??

But I have to ask why should I get City Navigator vs downloading Ibycus USA??

Please advise before I go plunking down $$$.  I will most likely buy lake mapping and be glad to take advice on that.

This is a wonderful site, tip of my hat to y'all. 

I am thinking geocashing might be fun just to have places to hiking to.

maps4gps

The Ibycus USA map used 2007 Census data.  My recent US Planimetric - xxxxx mapsets use 2009 Census for the roads/streets and hydro (when NC topo was created, 2008 was the latest data). The full mapset is about 2.5 times the Ibycus size as it includes info from other 'standard' sources; however it is packaged in 200+-Mb regional mapsets.  None of these mapsets are routable, so if you need routing and the absolute latest street info then CN would probably be best.

I mentioned it to Oz earlier in the year; isn't it time to change 'based on the most recent census data' to 'based on 2007 Census data' in the Ibycus USA description.  It is somewhat misleading to potential uses and 'detracts' from the efforts of other mapauthors who are keeping up with the latest data.
Perhaps Oz was looking for a current mapset using only Census data.

easygoing

Wow, that was a fast reply...

I greatly appreciate it.  Not sure if mapManger installed the map on computer. I saw the file was a tgz so I untared it and saw .gmapi file. I ran mapManager, then ran MapInstall, selected the whole map.  But not sure what mapManager actually did. ( I am a SW engineer, predisposed to play first read manual second). I saw where Garmin had there SW API and development available.  So I will definitely look into that. I run all manor of Unix/Linux/Mac.....

I put a 2GB on my 76csx.  I was seeing warning that maybe the whole 2 GB can not be addressed??? But it said 1.7 GB free after installing, NC.

I will look at your Planimetric mapsets. I am not sure I would use routing, but will look into it.  Seems most folks get CN, at least looking at BBs etc.. But I am not predisposed when all this work has been done by you folks.

Again much thanks.  Gots lots to learn.

This device picks up sats inside my house, quite a step up for me.  I am going to get lazy having all this convenience. 

Boyd

Quote from: easygoing on December 25, 2009, 07:38:34 PM
I put a 2GB on my 76csx.  I was seeing warning that maybe the whole 2 GB can not be addressed??? But it said 1.7 GB free after installing, NC.

If you are running the newest firmware, you should be able to use up to a 4GB card. Actually, it may even recognize a larger one but the map file is limited to 4gb. But a bigger limitation is the total number of segments which all your loaded maps can contain. On older units like yours this will top out at 2025.

Probably not a issue for most people, unless you are trying to load all of Garmin's US Topo 100k from the DVD which contains over 6,000 segments!  :o

easygoing

I only got the 2 GB because of what I read. 4 GB is 32 bit addressing, which I guess the processor runs, I presume so and was wondering if there was a special processor and addressing with a 2 GB limit.

I would presume to have latest firmware. It is brand new from Amazon ordering. At price they are now I would expect them to sell well.

Have not read any where yet, to be able to tell what the firmware is at I am sure it is there.  Fun looking around. Amazing how similar the navigation is to my GPS 12 XL. I like that consistency in design.

My wife was asking me what I am going to do with my compasses.  :D
She always liked that I know how to navigate.  I use to sail and I was taught to use a sextant ( family tradition). Now she thinks I am a weeny now.

OK another question maps4gps is a windows map, do I do a conversion so it will be in Mac form. Though I saw that documented some where.

Is windows and Mac version diff because it is actually a text file and messaging it between Windows txt to Mac/Unix ascii file?

Dang, it a whole directory, maybe each file is a "section" of a the map... More to look into..

maps4gps

I would check the software/firmware version.  I purchased an Oregon300 from REI at the beginning of their Thanksgiving sale - the units had been received two days earlier; in checking, the s/f was two versions behind - however this was likely due to Garmin adding image support for the CO/OR/DK units at that time.

MAC installer in:http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/making-a-mac-installer-for-garmin-maps/
I do not use a MAC, so not sure what needs to be done.
The .img data files are the same.  It is the 'front end' installer for the MAC software used to send the mapset to the GPSr that is different.  Oz has made these before for my other mapsets - I do not know if you need a MAC to create the installer or if it can be done on a PC.