GPSFileDepot.com

Strange Green fields in SETOPO set....? for "Jonh_M"

Started by woodstramp, December 24, 2009, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

A question for the creator of the SETOPO  (maps4GPS)

I fished a large reservoir in northern Alabama.  During the trip I was using my Delorme PN-20 to record the WP's and tracks.

A while back I was looking at this lake on my Garmin Nuvi that is loaded with the topo you created just to eyeball the area with a different map set.  As I zoomed in on this area of Lake Guntersville (and other parts too) I noticed these strange green and black fields where water should be.  I'd never seen this before.

Note...please excuse the fuzzy pics...I don't know how to do screen captures.

Zoomed out---

Closer----

Closest-----

The only thing, other than a bug of some kind, I could think of was that this might be a marker for milfoil fields.  The lake is choked with it, BTW. Particularly in the upper half area in the middle pic.  Has the author or any of you seen this strange background on a water feature before?  Thanks.

maps4gps

What is SETOPO?  
 I authored a Alabama Topo and US Planimetric - southeast
 John M authored South East United States - with installer

I do not recall ever seeing a pattern like that - it is not one of the standard Garmin polygon types.

Boyd

To take a screenshot on your Nuvi, press Menu > Tools > Settings > Display > Screenshot > On. This may be slightly different on older models, but it will be in the display settings menu. You will now see an icon which looks like a camera. Pressing it will capture everything on the screen (except the camera icon). Afterwards, connect the Nuvi to your computer and look for a screenshot or scrn folder. It will be in either the root or \Garmin folder. There should be numbered images inside.

That looks like a custom type. Kind of cool, whatever it is.  8)

woodstramp

First, apologies to Maps4gps...

..got my brain wires crossed as to the author.  But, hey, Alabama is in the SE :)   MOD....you can change my title to 'for "JohnM".

That is is the map and the author IS "JohnM".  Coords for this area of Guntersville, Al.  are N34 24.500 W86 17.700  Will also check out the link you posted.

Boyd,  

Thanks for the lesson.  Will try it.  My Garmin is an older Nuvi 200 if that matters.  I was thinking that this might be a bug or a custom thing too.  The one thing I recall about this lake was the place was so thick with aquatic weeds that it actually stalled our boat.  

maps4gps

Any other mapset(s) on the unit?

I believe JohnM just 'straight' processed the USGS NHD hydro; however I never downloaded that mapset.

I would guess it is either another mapset on the unit, or some strange situation/conflict in the GPSr.

jtkt1981

Looking at that same spot using the Garmin US Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hotspots V5, the area that you indcate is labeled as "submergent vegetation".  It is almost a perfect match with the green and black area in your screenshot.

maps4gps

Sounds like you are displaying some conbination of two mapsets.
woodstramp - can you comfirm this?
   What does this area look like in MapSource for the SE topo mapset?

woodstramp

Quote from: maps4gps on December 25, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Sounds like you are displaying some conbination of two mapsets.
woodstramp - can you comfirm this?
   What does this area look like in MapSource for the SE topo mapset?

No, I don't think so.  I keep the SETOPO map on an SD card.   When I go into settings to view this mapset I turn off CityNavigator.   CN was already installed on the Nuvi at purchase and is the only other map type I have on this unit.   

woodstramp

Quote from: jtkt1981 on December 25, 2009, 02:56:45 PM
Looking at that same spot using the Garmin US Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hotspots V5, the area that you indcate is labeled as "submergent vegetation".  It is almost a perfect match with the green and black area in your screenshot.

That may be it.   Like I mentioned before I thought it might be a bug or some strange map attribute that I've never seen before.  The SETOPO has been an amazing critter.  I really like it.  Just noticed this strange background.