GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

will download erase basemap?

Started by pulleye16, December 06, 2009, 03:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulleye16

Looking at downloading MN topo 24k but when I choose to dowload the map on my etrex legend, It says I will loose any maps on my GPS or on my data card.  I don't believe my unit has a data card (just bought, need to read more) but will this dowload erase my basemap and all saved way points and tracks???  It says if i loose my map I can re-download it from Garmin but then won't I lose my new topo 24k Map??? any help on this issue will be great as I'm new to this site.  Also, any virus's or software issues to your units when you download these?  Thanks for the help!!

Boyd

That is just a generic warning - it doesn't check to see if there are actually any maps which would be erased. On the eTrex series, you cannot erase the basemap-  it's stored in protected memory that users cannot access. If you had previously loaded another map onto your unit, that would be erased however.

The regular Legend does not have a card slot. The Legend Hcx does. Again, it's a generic warning. Sending a new map to your eTrex will not delete any tracks or waypoints. However, when you choose "Send to Device" in Mapsource, make sure that the only thing with a check mark is "Maps". That way you'll be sure that the only thing which will be replaced is the map itself.