GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Vista deleting maps

Started by crashtestdummy, December 04, 2009, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashtestdummy

I was going to load a map on my Vista using Mapsource and the Utah topo's. Mapsource said that my preloaded maps on my Vista would be deleted. Does it delete all of them, or just the map area I'm trying to load.

Also, how big of an area can I fit on my 24MB of memory? Do I need to leave some empty for tracks and waypoints?

Thanks for any help. This Vista is new to me and although I downloaded a lot of tracks from my old 12XL, I never uploaded much to it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Boyd

Any maps (aside from the basemap which can't be erased) currently on your GPS will be deleted when you load a new mapset. A mapset can include several different areas or even different maps, but they are all grouped together in storage.

24MB of internal memory is pretty limiting. I used to have a Legend C with 24MB and could only load a few counties here in New Jersey. Exactly how much you can load depends on the map and how it was made. In mapsource, select some areas of interest. Click on the Map tab on the left and look at the bottom of the page. It will tell you how much space is needed. Just watch that number as you select more areas and stop when it approaches the limit.

If you try to transfer too much, it will give you an error message and you can try again with less segments.

crashtestdummy

The only maps I have on the unit are the ones that came installed on it. I believe it is the Americas Base Map set.

crashtestdummy

Thanks, I guess I will try loading some maps. Is the warning that I got a standard warning that is always there?

crashtestdummy

What version of MapSource are you using?

It is 6.15.7. I just downloaded it and installed it today.

crashtestdummy

It took me a minute to figure out S & G. No maps show up as being loaded. I loaded the map I needed and I still got the same warning window. I will try it out in a few hours.

Thanks